Saturday, January 15, 2011

Grow old along with me, the best is yet to be. But when?

.....So, the return of Baron Zorro has inspired people to write poetry for comments. Amazing! I even received a comment from Bob Fox who writes one infrequently, but I know he is out there--finally retired, and who will be here next month, possibly, and we'll go out for breakfast or lunch. Well for him it will be lunch, for me breakfast--which I usually have at 1pm. Before that Z is busy whipping his sword around. And for the first time, ever, my grandson, Adam, wrote a comment--or rather a poem...not a bad one either. Says he doesn't want to be known as a bad poet, not knowing yet that it's not possible for bad poetry to pop up in the Family Ross. It's in the jeans. I was surprised that Adam reads the blog, but I'm happy that he did. I wonder if he reads it as a daily part of life??  Problem now is--Adam claims in an email that he didn't write it!! Says it must be a different Adam. Then I get an email from JR saying that he really wrote it and put in Adam's name by mistake!! I guess mistakes, unfortunately, are in a Ross jean back pocket. What better way is there besides reading this blog to open the day and solve a mystery over a spot of tea and crumpets?? Eh??

.....I also received a comment from Cuzzin Ruth...a poem, actually. And I'm honored because she's a professional poet who has promised to write me a poem on my birthday. Ruth did ask Ellin Jaeger (nee Bliss) to explain what she meant by "fried rice" as a game, and how it is to be played. Perhaps it wasn't fried rice--maybe white, which if so would be a different game entirely. As for me, I play solitaire games on the computer and I prefer lo mein to rice.

.....Last night RH+ and I went to the Boomer's Club event in our clubhouse--a mock wedding. (We actually are members, but hardly Boomers). I had to wear a suit and a tie. Well, I managed after 15 minutes of trying, to button the top button on my shirt, and I tried to make a knot in the tie, but I could knot do it. It has been so long since I wore a tie that I forgot how to do it! I tried to look it up on Google, but no luck there. Finally, Rho interrupted putting on her lipstick and she came out of the bathroom and tied it for me.  How embarrassing! Zorro forgetting how to put on his tie. Well, he can hardly be blamed because he usually wears a guitar around his neck.

.....Well, the wedding was a "black tie" affair as you may have guessed for my having to wear a suit--but there were lots of guys there who wore tuxedos and the women wore gowns. The groom was a gal, and the bride was a guy. Both arrayed accordingly. We brought them a gift from the Dollar Store where they had a registry. We had a buffet with hot meals including chicken francaise, eggplant something, broccoli, etc. I don't eat any of that stuff so I stuffed my plate with baked ziti. To conclude, the affair was hilarious and we did have a good time. Hey, I'm sleepy and I want to take a nap before the football playoff game. Talk to you soon. (WHY AM I DOING THIS???)

6 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJanuary 17, 2011 at 5:11 PM

    Dera Cuz Baron - you are doing it BY POPULAR DEMAND!! Always lovely to hear about your life. Shame more people haven't taken you up on the poetry, but if it's any consolation, the same sort of thing seems to be happening over here. No-one's interested at the moment. It must be La Nina or a defective Gulf Stream or something. Next time you and Rh+ are out to dine, please drink the return of poesy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellin Bliss Jaeger (North Shore '58)January 18, 2011 at 10:52 PM

    So glad that the people were heard and the Baron responded. Please advise Cuz Ruth to look for freerice.com It's a vocabulary quiz game with every right answer donating 10 grains of rice to the hungry. It's a bit repetitive, and sometimes I think their definitions are off, but occasionally it's fun esp for those of us who eschew solitaire.
    As my dear friend Esther used to say, "Carry on!"
    and hoist up your Diet Coke to "the return of poesy."

    ReplyDelete
  3. But Le Baron Rouge lives forever and a day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJanuary 19, 2011 at 4:33 PM

    Ellin & Cuz Baron - thanks for information: I will try the free rice thing.

    Dear Cuz Baron: yes, people do die, but I hope not that many of them before everyone decides that poetry is where it's at again. Can you hold on until September? I think that's when everyone will be reaching for their quills again! (No definite reason for fixing this date: just a hunch!) Cuz Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJanuary 20, 2011 at 8:44 PM

    Played free rice. God, I'm brilliant! But not perfect - very good on words derived from Ancient Greek and Latin, not so clever with words that derive from outside the European tradition. Thanks, Ellin! Cuz Ruth

    ReplyDelete