Sunday, January 25, 2015

"Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil." (Isaiah V)

.....I'm teaching a new class called "Fun With Shakespeare" and we are reading "Hamlet". The last class that I taught here was in 2009.  Same title.  Same play.  Of course I am teaching this on a high level--on a college level.  Why am I doing this while I have to sit at a table, I don't really know.  I just felt like doing some teaching. I didn't know how many "students" would show up to register, but I guessed about 12. It was 8!  Should I have such a class for 8 or should I cancel the class? I decided that I could not disappoint 8 students, so I began the class.  I gave them books called "No Fear Shakespeare" with the Bard on one side of the page, and modern English on the other side.  I brought a dagger to the first class two weeks ago on Friday from 3 to 4:30 and I threatened to cut their throats if they read the modern English before I asked them to.  I would never give such a book to a high school class, but these were elderly people who never went to college.  I couldn't believe that out of about 5000 residents in this community only 8 people showed up for the class!  And so I decided that the rest of them were down at the pools discussing restaurants and doctors.
.....It took me a very long time to write the above news without making a typo.  So now I think I'll give myself a break and just type and let the errors fall where they may.  The latest news I got about my ex sister-in-law, Norma, was not the best that I have been hoping for.  After all, she is 93.  I was married to her sister for 30 years, so you can understand that I grew very fond of her.  I was amazed at the way she accepted RH+ whenever the two had occasion to meet after her sister and I were divorced.  She must have realized that it wasn't my fault.  My ex went to California one day to "find herself" and never came back.  I have never found whether she found herself or not.
But I will give my ex her due: she was a good wife for 30 years; she raised four outstanding kids; so I suppose that after 30 years, she could do what her heart told her to do.  May her sister, Norma, be blessed.
.....I wish I knew what the problem is.  I think if one American citizen leaves the country to go fight with ISIS or Al Quaida, they should be given a choice: never come back or if they come back, let them in and try them as traitors--because that is what they are.  Or they may be given a third choice--come back and get their genitals dipped  in boiling oil.  If there is anything else I can think of, I'll mention it in a future posting on this blog.  I really would like to be appointed as Secretary of Testicle Affairs............

6 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJanuary 25, 2015 at 4:36 PM

    I think that going to California to find yourself is a great idea, whether you succeed in doing so or not. That's because it's so wonderful to find just California on any pretext. No, I don't know if Thelma found herself or not, but expect that she did. I had no problem finding her.
    Yes, I agree about the people who go to be murderers (I won't dignify them with the name of "soldiers.") Trial for treason, horrible torture, statelessness: fine. During the Irish Troubles, our armed forces got quite good at "shoot to kill," you know. It saved a lot of trouble, and got rid of some really horrible people very quickly! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We watched "Braveheart" last night. A stirring film with Mel Gibson. The battles between the English and the Scots with William Wallace were especially heroic--but I'm not taking sides here until I get more information. Miss you Mrs. My love

      Delete
    2. It's me again Sir Baron. Remember the French gave me the Croix de Guerre or something which made me a knight--a Chevalier if you will. I have won many "battles" in life. I'm in the process of winning another.

      Delete
  2. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJanuary 25, 2015 at 11:45 PM

    What's this battle you're winning, Baron dear? I'm agog with curiosity!
    When I saw "Braveheart," I quite enjoyed the narrative (I'm a sucker for a biopic) but I was struck by the egoism and strangeness of Mel Gibson, who directed himself as the brave hero, all-conquering, and steadfast under torture, etc. And I told people that at the time. And lo, a while later he was found to be the most shocking anti-Semitic fanatic. Can't say I was surprised. And as I'm only human, I was quite proud of my prescience. Cuz Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss the old broad.
    I miss her sense of humor. Let me share a story to illustrate how we had “some fun.” If Helen irked me, we went through this particular routine. We had to have friends with us for this to work. When provoked, I would, loudly, yell to Helen, “ Nyah nyah nyah I had you before we were married”. The silence that ensued as broken by Helen’s answer. “Nyag nyah nyah And so did all your friends.”
    April 2015 will be a year when she left me with the mortgage. No, only kidding about the mortgage. We “milked” the bureaucracy by utilizing the reverse mortgage. A few years ago, when GM was threatening the market with bankruptcy, I, the maven, of my weekly allowance, figured out there is no way that the government will allow GM to fail. I even bet on it, but investing the bulk of the amount of my reverse mortgage in GM Stock. You know the rest. I lost it all, when the unthinkable occurred; GM went bust. I thought with age you accrued sense and I was determined to prove my prowess. So now, when the grim reaper calls, I leave the apartment to my heirs who can argue with each other on who will pay the tab. Naaahhh, you and I both know, we don’t have to worry about that, since being selfish is an innate portion of my id. Who cares about the tab? I’m sure there are holders of reverse mortgages who are deprived sleep trying to figure out how to pay it back. I admit my obvious callousness.
    I found a new form of activity. Perusing the computer, I found a dormant, unused email service that I never used. Apparently, I can write emails under the guise of my late wife and it automatically signs “Helen Herbstman” . Now here, I see possibilities. I tested it out by sending an old friend an email (from Helen) to take care of Mike, since he’s such a stalwart, wonderful guy. Who can refuse a voice from beyond? It didn’t help. My friend answered Helens email. Apparently, I’m not the only one with a distorted, warped sense of humor. His answer was more outrageous than mine.
    Mike Herbstman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get over it. Helen has lived her life,and the time has come for you to live YOURS. Wallowing in grief doesn't become you....

      Delete