Monday, December 30, 2013

"Carpe Dium" (Seize the day)

....Well, to those who have been curious to know why I am no longer Director of the "In-House" show in March, perhaps the email to the president of the Board may enlighten you.  And so I will show it to you now--(Marty is/was Producer of the show)

Aaron: Insofar as my manuscript is concerned, I told Marty that he could direct the show if what he said was true about the cast grumbling about my "strict" direction. I did not believe him, but gave him the opportunity to direct my script anyway because he's a young guy needing experience.  I did not cede the script to him!  Since then, I have heard there have been changes that I have not authorized and which positively violates my copyright (which can be plainly seen stated on page 2.)  All I asked (and still ask) is that the three songs that are very important to my theme be returned to the play, which apparently have not been.  Sandy Zemser decided that she wanted to replace them. I do not have too much faith in her artistic or creative bent, though she may know music.  Please tell them to replace my songs. Please tell them that any changes to my manuscript must have my permission according to the Copyright Act.
.
I ask that you support me in this matter for I'm in the right, and they're clearly in the wrong. The bottom line is that I own this manuscript, of which I am the author, to be used--or not, for the in-house show.  If you do not like what I wrote, you have the right to refuse it.  It must be one way or the other.  I've done more in 30 years to entertain and educate this community than any single person in this cast. I deserve your protection of my Copyright.  And as of now, it appears this has not been the case.
 
.....I hope this has cleared up the situation for you.  Of course, if my songs are not replaced, then I can sue and win--but I don't plan to do that.  I don't want to stir the pot more than it has been stirred already.  I suppose I can write another musical next year, but who knows what the future will bring. Shakespeare wrote "We know what we are, but know not what we may be"

5 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netDecember 30, 2013 at 4:52 PM

    Baron dear: I beg you not to dwell on this. I won't help your delicate psyche! Look ahead, not backwards!! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netDecember 30, 2013 at 10:13 PM

    I've had a brill idea, dear Baron! Why not give us some more of your wonderful thoughts on Shakespeare's sonnets? We ALL want your wisdom on these matters!! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ruthie--I am looking ahead--to when I can put on a musical that I wrote. I'm about to reach 90 and seeing my musical performed is one of my goals in life. I am not a houyhnhnm with a tail between my legs. Shakespeare barked up the wrong tree. First thing we do is kill all the Yahoos. I'm taking up my Sopwith Camel to see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netDecember 31, 2013 at 9:37 PM

    Great! Dear old Tommy Sopwith reached the age of 100, which birthday was celebrated by a flight of planes over his home. Bless him, he died only recently, peacefully, after a long, fruitful, and happy life.
    Yes, PLEASE din't kill all the lawyers! After all, I AM one!! Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I said "Kill all the Yahoos". You're not a Yahoo. I did say Shakespeare barked up the wrong tree. Happy New Year.

      Delete