Sunday, July 14, 2013

"Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds..." (Shakespeare)

.....There has been a show here in Huntington Lakes every year for the past 30 years produced by the residents.  I have had the good fortune to have performed in several of them.  Most of the shows have been "book shows" meaning that they were shows performed on B'Way; shows such as "Fiddler on the Roof", "My Fair Lady", "Showboat", and etc.  When there were no book shows there were "in-house" shows written or just put together by a resident.  However, this year the condo Board has rejected the only show that has been presented to them.  Consequently, residents who are interested in performing on the stage of our theatre are left showless.  Since I have been furious about the Board's intransigence about an "in-house" show, and so I decided to "write" one myself.   I have never tried to write a musical, but I thought of an idea for one, and I have been working on it.  This musical will be a reproduction and remembrance of the USO concerts for troops in WWII.  The songs of that era will be revived and residents who sing will be introduced as the vocalist who made the song popular.  I plan to do more than have vocalists one after another, however, but I don't want to go into it right now.  It will be a top notch show, I assure you.  I am a professional. 
 
.....Now, in spite of the fact that my good British "cousin" has admonished me, after a fashion, about publishing letters I have received from former students (see her comment in a previous posting), I will, nevertheless continue the practice of publishing them here for the reasons I have discussed in a previous blog.  This one is from one of my very first students whom I first met in the 9th grade at Sea Cliff H.S.--a year or so before we went into the new North Shore H.S.
 
Dear Dr. Ross,
 
I am so happy to receive your e-mail.  You are so precious to me.  I have always adored you.  I  have never told you that you turned my life around when I was a very unhappy Freshman at Sea Cliff HS.  You were never aware of the harassment I endured at the hands of a former, very jealous BFF.  I begged my parents to take me out of SCHS---but it wasn't possible - so I stayed and tried to make the best of it.  I always vowed to "get even"by coming out on top and with your encouragement and support I did.  I was terrified when you interviewed me for the position of Editor-in -chief of the Viking View---even more terrified when I was appointed.  But with your wonderful confidence, we succeeded. 
 
 I love you so much,   (BK)

3 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 15, 2013 at 11:23 AM

    Dear Cuzzin, I NEVER admonished you! I merely remarked that there was no NEED for items that told me how wonderful you are, because I already knew it!! But the testimony from BK was worth reading, as she charts her own highly moving and interesting emotional development through the subject she was studying via your strengths as a teacher and mentor. Well done to you both!
    Yeah, the show sounds good, keep us all posted. Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, Ruthie, "admonished" is the wrong word. I know that you think I don't need student backups and you're probably right. But I would like Huston, my Great Grandson to know that his Great Grandpa was a decent teacher. I could just tell him that on this blog, but I felt my former students could do it better. You are my rod and my staff. Cure me; I'm sick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 16, 2013 at 7:16 AM

    Dear Baron, I only wish I could! But I can't! I can only wish you well and suggest that you just keep on writing shows and blog-posts, and thinking of your dear great-grandson. And SINGING!!! Dum - dum - dum - dum - STAYIN' ALIVE, STAYIN' ALIVE

    ReplyDelete