Saturday, July 13, 2013

I Didn't Even Know she Was Jewish!



 
....I learned something recently that stunned me. It's about a woman I loved--though never met. 
 
I didn’t even know she was Jewish
 
.....She was called the most beautiful woman in the world. A Jewess who hated Fascism & Nazism yet dined with Hitler & Mussolini. She invented a way to prevent radio signals of allied submarines from being jammed. We know it today as WiFi. Even today the Navy uses this technology .  In 1933,  a beautiful, young Austrian woman took off her  clothes for a movie  director. She ran through  the woods, naked. She swam in a lake,  naked, pushing well beyond the social norms of the period. The movie was called "Ecstasy".
.....The most  popular  movie in 1933 was King Kong. But  everyone in Hollywood was talking  about that  scandalous movie with the gorgeous, young Austrian woman.
Louis B. Mayer, of the giant studio MGM, said she was the  most beautiful woman in the  world. The film was  banned practically everywhere, which of  course  made it even more popular and valuable.  Mussolini  reportedly refused to sell his copy at  any price.

.....The star  of the  film, called Ecstasy, was Hedwig Kiesler. She  said the  secret of her beauty was "to stand there and  look  stupid." In reality, Kiesler was anything  but stupid. She was a  genius. She'd grown up as  the only child of a prominent Jewish  banker. She  was a math prodigy. She excelled at science.  She was married six times. She became a big Hollywood star.   Her film name was Hedy Lamar.  What a life!
 
.....I am still suffering from acute bronchitis.  I can't shake it, even though I am taking nebulizer treatment.  My nurse, RH+ reminds me that it will take time because I am not 17 anymore.  As if I have to be reminded.  I have absolutely no desire to leave this house.  I am very comfortable just staying here without going anywhere.  Can't go anyway--it pours rain every day.  The one good thing that I can say is that I really can walk pretty well with a cane now without having to use that ugly walker like a nursing home resident.  And to keep busy, I am working on developing a show...I will direct it.
More about it later.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 15, 2013 at 11:16 AM

    Poor you, dear Baron! Get as well as possible!!
    That was a very interesting item on this heroic and clever lady. Yes, regrettably every woman (except, I hope, ones younger that me) has had to learn that there are times when she would be well-advised to look stupid.
    Why is it raining in FLORIDA, for Heaven's sake! We have a heatwave here. Everyone around me is complimenting me on my tan and complaining that they burn, so I have to point out that I've got Semitic and not Anglo-Saxon skin. Big sighs of relief then are heaved - the Anglo-Saxons then don't have to feel competitive about not getting a tan!
    Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete