Tuesday, June 4, 2013

"Nature, Time and Patience are the three great physicians."


.....Today RH+ came with me to the VA Hospital in West Palm Beach.  As a matter of fact she is the one who drove.  It's about 30 miles on the turnpike and she drives me quite a bit when I have appointments or when we go out to a restaurant in the evening.  I get into the passenger seat while she takes my walker and puts it in the back seat.  She is a very big help to me.  Hmmm, I like this color; Navy blue, I suppose. One of my readers complained that it was to difficult to read some of the colors I pick out for the blog.  We had to go to a new mental health building to see Mary, the RN who helps with the medication I get from the VA.  The old PTSD building was very easy to get to, and usually we were able to park right by the entrance.  This new building is kind of in the boondocks (that means "out of the way" Ruthie) and the parking lot is pretty far away from the main entrance.  If I should drive alone, I would have to take my scooter.  When Rho drives, she lets me off at the entrance and then parks the car.  

.....We will be driving up to New York on June 16 and it's about 1200+ miles.  It will cost us about $165 each way in gasoline.  I suppose that's a little cheaper than flying. Besides, I don't want to fly ever again if I can help it.  Of course we will also have hotel expenses there and back.  Oh, by the way, we are going up for a wedding.  Rho's nephew is getting married.  However, Rho has been having a serious problem with her carotid arteries and her kidneys.  On Friday she has to go to the Boca hospital for some tests, and depending on the results she may have to have surgery.  If so, and depending on how serious it might turn out to be, we simply will have to forget about going to the wedding.  Her health comes first.  Of course, a lot of people, including us will be very disappointed, but what is, is--and it has to be dealt with.  So, keep your fingers crossed, and if you have religion, say a prayer or two.

5 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJune 4, 2013 at 10:10 PM

    Thanks for translating "boondocks" for me, Baron! I'm so sorry that you're both unwell, and that the most dramatic events in your current lives seem to be hospital appointments. Not much fun, I should imagine. I'm not sure how much of religious transcendence I believe, but I'll happily offer prayers for you. One thing is certain: prayer can't possibly HURT! (This is Ruthie's version of the doctrine known as Pascal's Wager, q.v.) Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope everyone is healthy enough to travel, although that is a long way to go, even with no health problems.

    One also needs to translate for Ruth that our "parking lot" means "carpark" in her language. Which reminds me: It's odd that one drives on a parkway, but parks on a driveway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJune 5, 2013 at 11:23 PM

    Thanks, Joel, but I seem to remember a song about how they "paved paradise and put up a parking lot," and when it came out, I made enquiry, and ascertained what a parking lot is. I liked the parkway/driveway observation: there was a time when my washing machine was a Hoover and my hoover was a Mercedes Benz. Cray-zeeeee! But roughly in line with quite a lot of what goes on at Chateau Grimsley....My cat Jasper got stuck up our oak tree yesterday morning...Bratty (that is, Teresa, Manny's live-in girlfriend) did seventy quid's worth of damage to my dishwasher last week...I've passed the bill to Mike, and he's paying it, but refusing, for reasons best known to himself, to pass it on to the two of them...and I'm writing a poem called: "Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible." Manny now has a job: he's managing a band that's prosperous and busy enough to need and pay a manager. Jolly good. Most of the work is carried out from his computer in his rooms on the top floor. Strictly speaking, then, those rooms are now being used as business premises. So, instead of his not paying me a domestic rent, he's not paying me a commercial rent. Commercial rents are higher than domestic ones. I feel richer already...much love, Cousin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. The previous comment serves as an example of a comment that had better been sent as an e-mail. What do the cats up a tree and Manny's job have to do with the topic of this blog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJune 6, 2013 at 9:54 PM

    "Nature" is what I've got in my garden: "time" is what I have that my family members think they are entitled to waste: "patience" is what I need to cope with them all.
    Cats, on the other hand, are furry psychopaths. They are also pretty stupid. They will never reach the intellectual heights of debate achieved in these columns. So, Baron, you are obviously right in castigating me for irrelevance. Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete