Monday, June 10, 2013

Et vadit mundi; And so goes the world

.....I must discuss something that I have wanted to explain for a very long time, and it is really very simple.  In writing anything, the issue that is missing is the tone in one's voice as one is speaking.  Writing is not the language.  Speech is the language.  Thus when it appears as though I am having an argument with one of my readers, that may not be the case at all.  Without the accompanying tone of voice in the writing; when a viral discussion appears to be going on in this blog, it is simply verbal gymnastics; when I deliver an opinion in my blog, advancing a disagreement with any reader's point of view on a subject; when it appears to be a confrontation, I don't mean it to be.  I never wish to have a confrontation with any reader, be it a friend or a relation.  When you grow up in the South Bronx, you learn to dance the tango on a friend's body, and when he gets up he bloodies your head with a baseball bat.  And then you go together looking for girls.  And when you go through a world war, your attitude against  the enemy is beyond mean.  And so, this becomes a part of your life style.  Win--or pay the price.
 
.....On Father's Day (how did that happen?) we are driving to New York, and then home.  It has got me concerned about how I will react to such a trip.  And then I thought about my trip around the world, skipping from one country and culture to another without worrying about the effect on mind and body.  I felt like the Great Gatsby or even Gulliver.  I could conquer any development; after all, I was eventually  decorated with the DFC, the highest honor the Navy could bestow.  And so I went to Norway, Sweden, Holland, Denmark, Germany, France, Nepal, Iran, Turkey, Australia, Tahiti, Bora Bora, Samoa, England, Israel, Fiji; not necessarily in that order--and a couple I have forgotten.  And now my wife is driving me to New York, and I am carrying along my walker. 

9 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJune 10, 2013 at 9:14 PM

    No offence ever taken, dear Baron! When you "criticised" me for going on about my cat, etc., I didn't take it seriously, or think you were really cross - I just composed another comment which I hope amused you. Have a good Fathers Day: and I'm saddened by your infirmities, but alas there's nothing I can do to help......Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJune 12, 2013 at 3:46 PM

    Aha! I've just spotted why, dear Baron, you might have thought I'd taken your jokes seriously - I appear to have left no comment on your last posting. As a matter of fact, I did post a comment (forgotten what exactly now) but it doesn't seem to have registered. Reading, thinking about, and taking note of EVERYTHING you say, dear Baron, and ALWAYS loving you!! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall any comment to my last post; and I don't know what jokes you are referring to dear Ruthie. I'm not very good at joking. I post every comment you write, but I do not post any "anonymices".

      Delete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJune 12, 2013 at 9:18 PM

    No, dear Baron, I didn't write an "anonymouse" comment: I wrote in my own name. Either the mechanism of the blog-comments failed us both, or I absent-mindedly messed up my sending of the comment. Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruthie, I didn't mean that you write anymices. I meant other commenters. My bad. I love your comments. They keep me sane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJune 13, 2013 at 8:42 AM

    Anything I can do to assist my dear Cousin Emeritus is my pleasure to perform! Love you, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. The problems caused by the absence of tone in writing has long been recognized in the cyber world. That is why emoticons were created (the smiley faces). So, when a writer realizes that his/her tone might be misunderstood if only the words are present, a smiley face (or a winking one, etc.) signals to readers that the previous word, phrase, or comment should be received in a lighter tone than the words themselves might convey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, dear readers, if the problems caused by absence of tone in writing has "long been known in the cyber world" it has escaped me because I don't live in that world. I live in the old fashioned world because I'm old fashioned. Although I have seen "emoticons" I do not know how to use them & I really don't believe a "smiley" face takes the place of tone in speech. It's just an image of tone, and a "smiley" face after some context sometimes could mean "so there!" (If you get my meaning).

    ReplyDelete
  8. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJune 13, 2013 at 6:48 PM

    I think you're both right. It IS difficult to bring accurate tone to e-dialogue: but I sometimes think that this problem should have been overcome by a literate and imaginative approach to prose style. Emoticons I usually find comprehensible, but I also find them often used as a substitute for proper writing, and occasionally they can be an obstacle in the relations between writer and reader, for example, they can come across as patronizing. Or maybe the writer WANTS to be patronizing, whaddo I know...

    ReplyDelete