Monday, September 17, 2012

"...whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or take arms against a sea of troubles?" (HAMLET)

.....Still awaiting the arrival of the first Great Grandson, Huston Lee Hudgins.  His outcoming is expected before the end of the month. If it doesn't happen, he probably doesn't want to come here, and you can't blame him.  The world is not very often a happy place--even here in the best country in the universe--except perhaps Great Britain which, at least, has the name "Great" as part of it.  I don't think "Great United States" or "Great America" works very well.  But, whatever will be, will be. 

.....I just published the eleventh volume of the blog series "Home of the Red Baron".  Its title is "The Slings and Arrows".  I thought this title would indicate the travails of aging, and the medications and medical bills that attend the process.  The "Baron" blog, after all, and for the most part, recounts my life in retirement since 1982; indeed there have been slings and arrows along the way.  But I suppose that is concomitant with becoming a "senior senior".  Nevertheless, in spite of the bumps and bruises along the way, my golden years have been relatively happy and productive ones.  It is during this time that I have accomplished several of my life's goals--not the least of which is to write my "Memoirs" and do a few things in the performing arts.  Publishing eleven books of the blog journal has been a bonus--and a rewarding one.  
.....But now, there must be something else that is left to do before I retire to the bourn where no traveler returns.  Right now I don't know what it is, but perhaps Google knows. At one time, however, it was the "Shadow" who knew, but slings and arrows caught up to him.

.....Today is the first day of Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish Holy Days.  Rhoda, dutifully went to temple services while I stayed at home doing this. I'm really a tooth fairy agnostic--and an evolutionist.  But, nevertheless, I do wish everyone a happy and healthy New Year. L'Shana Tovah.   




4 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netSeptember 17, 2012 at 6:08 PM

    Seasonal greetings happily received and duly reciprocated, dear Baron. It's great that you are able to look upon your life, and even the trials of old age, with satisfaction and equanimity. Btw, I know Shakespeare was the greatest ever, but isn't "take arms against a sea of troubles" a mixed metaphor? I've worried about this since I was 14 - half a century now - and I'd love to hear your opinion on the matter. Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruthie, I don't see it as a mixed metaphor. Because of his deep suicidal depression he visualizes taking his life as a naval attack on an ocean of his troubles; the ocean being very deep. Although I don't see that he has that many troubles. He should take Prozac.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netSeptember 17, 2012 at 11:03 PM

    Thank you, Baron - I hadn't thought of a NAVAL connection, although Hamlet does a lot of navel-gazing, ha ha. The idea that he should have taken Prozac (which in his time would have come in the form of St John's Wort)is excellent in its way: but had he done so, there would never have been that splendid tragedy for our edification! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings from California! I'm bored to tears at work so I decided to check out your blog on my iphone during lunch break. I love the info you present here and can't wait to take a look when I get home.
    I'm shocked at how fast your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .

    . Anyhow, amazing blog!

    Also visit my web-site ... bmi calculator women

    ReplyDelete