Saturday, June 30, 2012

"A woman is a dish for the gods." (Antony & Cleopatra)

.....   Lately there has been a big brouhaha about Mitt Romney’s firm stance regarding the rights of women, especially, among other things, on the place that abortion plays in their lives, a right which he opposes.  I, too, oppose abortion, but I respect a woman's right to make her own decision. Washington Irving wrote that in every true woman’s heart there is “...a spark of heavenly  fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity, but which kindles up and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity."  I read that over several times and I have come to the same conclusion that Ashley Montague came to in his book “The Natural Superiority of Women”; that is, women are by nature, the superior sex.  In my mind there is no doubt.  It is only male scholars who have pointed to the larger male brain, skeleton height, and muscle mass as clear evidence of male superiority. As in “might makes right.” So much for the male ego, especially the Islamic one. 

            However, in spite of the overall performance of the male anatomy and physiology, Montague believes women come out on top.  Although a woman's  brain may be smaller than a man’s, it has more neurons and is more highly developed and is capable of thinking more soundly and intuitive than the male brain.  The end result is that women are more insightful with greater stamina and longevity.  Women stand the test of time; Irving got it right. Some male relation recently commented that Montague chose a girl’s name not realizing that Ashley was the true love of Scarlett in GWTW (which he probably never saw) and that it is actually a boy’s name. I checked it out on Google.  Even Shakespeare agrees, for in "Love's Labor's Lost" he concludes that "...women's...eyes sparkle still the right Promethean fire, they are the books, the arts, the academes, They show, contain, and nourish all the world."  What I am trying to say is that there are two sexes on this planet, and a woman being one of them has the right to her own body without male politicians deciding differently.

            If you stop and really think about it women work much harder than men do throughout their lives.  They bear the children, they raise the children, they diaper the children, they drive the children to soccer games, they read to children, they do the shopping, they do the cooking, they do the laundry and the folding, they make the beds, they wash the dishes, and if they are not Jewish, they do the cleaning. Because of this, God has arranged for women to have sex on their back so that they can get a little rest.

7 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJune 30, 2012 at 4:01 PM

    Certainly, JEWISH women are a triumph of evolutionary development. That is my considered view, based on evidence! As for abortion, it's horrible, and I'm glad I've never been in a situation in which I might have had to consider having one, but when all is said and done, all that can sensibly be done about it is to keep it legal and keep it safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the one who had commented that Montague's views about women are suspect, given that he chose a girl's name for himself. Also, I did watch GWTW (why would you assume I hadn't?). First, Ashley was *not* Scarlett's "true love" (no more the Rosalind was Romeo's true love -- if you read the play, you'll know what I'm referring to). Second, did you know that the actor playing Ashley in GWTW was Leslie Howard? Another girl's name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JR, I know you are "the one". I assumed you hadn't because I took your grandmother to see it when I was about 16 when it first came out, and you had not been born yet. I don't know when it was revived for you or anyone of your gen. to have seen it. I don't really know what you are claiming about Rosalind and Romeo. I know that Rosalind was a character in "As You Like It". Romeo was not in it. And Ashley was Scarlett's true love. And Ashley is a boy's name, stolen by girls.

      Delete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 2, 2012 at 11:20 PM

    Joel - the girl's name in England that's pronounced "Leslie" is spelt "Lesley." Similar problems arise with "Beverly/Beverley." As for "Randy," in England it means horny!! Baron - you're quite right about women having sex on their backs - I don't like going on top because it's far too much like hard work!! And my understanding of GWTW is that Scarlett mistakenly DID love Ashley, until she was swept off her feet by Rhett Butler in a scene involving, quite frankly, marital rape, which turned her on most explosively. Having started to be interested in Rhett, he then, having found her attainable, lost interest in her. But that's what men are like! Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen, that's what I always say!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. After GWTW's debut in 1939, scientists invented a contraption called tele-vision, which was able to display moving images, including "talkies" that had been released in movie theaters previously.

    2. "Rosalind" is simply "Rosaline" with a typo. Surprised you didn't catch that. Rosaline is a named character in a play that does include Romeo, although I can't recall the title offhand.

    3. A majority of film critics points out that even though Scarlett obsessed over Audrey -- I mean Ashley -- Scarlett's true lover was actually Rhett, rather than Ashley. One website even ran a survey (http://www.fanpop.com/spots/scarlett-ohara-and-rhett-butler/picks/results/262008/who-scarlett-true-love-rhett-ashley), and Rhett won over Ashley 98%-2%. And "Rhett" is a not an gender-ambiguous name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. I understand typos. Rosaline is never seen in WS's play...has no dialogue. We only learn about Romeo's infatuation with her until he sees Juliet.
    2. Watching GWTW on a television screen rather than Cinerama is like watching a football game from the top row of a stadium.
    3. Scarlett's assignation with Rhett is obviously not love, but lust. Your link gives us a poll of fans, and not one critic, let alone a "majority". And "Rhettina" is a girl's name. I met her in IHOP.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 4, 2012 at 12:47 AM

    I have just re-read my last comment and have noticed a hanging (or misrelated) participle. The sentence should have read: "After Scarlett became interested in Rhett, etc." Sorry. Back to the main point: of COURSE Rhett gets all the votes: in both the book and the film he is by far the sexier man! When I read the book (at the impressionable age of 15) I thought at the time that it was unfair of Margaret Mitchell so to load the dice by making Rhett so attractive. And so I told my friends, but they weren't interested. Btw, my son Sam tells me that "dice" is the plural, and that the singular is "die," as in "The die is cast." Think that's from "Julius Caesar."
    Additionally, in England in the twenty-first century, the spelling of the girl's name appears to be "Ashleigh." Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete