Friday, May 18, 2012

"Look, he's winding up the watch of his wit; by and by it will strike." (The Tempest)

.....I have been working on my Great American Unknown Novel, written by me, the Famous Unknown Author, and I've managed to get to 62 pages, which I feel is a good start since when I began I had no idea where to go.  Now, I'm stuck at page 62.  I do have a couple of ideas floating around in my cranium, but I have to do a lot of research before I can continue, and researching takes a long, tedious time.  When I do find something I can use I try to write it down, but my right hand tremors so much, I can barely make out what I have written...most of the time I can't.  I don't know when or where this tremoring began (or is it "tremorness?"), but it sure is a handicap difficult to deal with.  In fact when the restaurant or shopping credit card bill comes RH+ does the signing.  After all, her penmanship is great, having been an elementary school teacher. If she is not with me, my signature on the bill is as illegible as some of those on the Bill of Rights or the Declaration of Independence.

.....I figure that finishing this novel will take me about 18 months, just a short distance from my 90th birthday.  Writing a novel has always been one of my goals, and just yesterday I told RH+ that I have had a cornucopia of goals, and that I have never failed to achieve them...except once.  She asked when that was, and I said "My first marriage".She most vociferously disagreed, and explained why that could not be one of my goals, and that even if it were, it was most definitely not a failure.  So, it was a great relief to me to discover that the goals in my life--except for this novel, as yet--have all been achieved. Amen. To mention the nature off all these goals would be too self-serving; it's enough for me to know that I know them.  Therefore a list is not to be forthcoming.

7 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 18, 2012 at 11:11 PM

    In any event, dear Baron, we, your faithful readers, already know of many of your achievements: wartime heroism, battle with a very unpleasant illness, four wonderful children, great career in language and literature, innumerable interesting friends and disciples....I could go on, but space prevents!

    I don't know "tremor" as a verb - I have never met it except as a noun. I would use "tremble." I will continue research on the matter! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 18, 2012 at 11:15 PM

    Nope - Google-able dictionaries don't show "tremor" as anything but a noun. However, they are not infallible. Please feel free to convince me! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ruthie, Haven't you discovered that sometimes I invent neologisms. I like using words in new and different ways, often just for a little humor. So, please stop tremoring about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck to Rhoda on her cat scan. My doctor wanted to give me one but I do not have a cat so it was impossible.

    Baron can easily find some domestic who will do all the onerous tasks Rhoda does for minimum wage. When Rhoda returns, you can keep this person until your bride is at full strength again. But you already knew all that, and much more. Baron uber alles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 20, 2012 at 7:58 AM

    OK - I'm convinced! Love you a lot, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not that the Internet is as wise (or correct) as we would wish it to be, but apparently quite a few folks feel that "tremor" is also a verb:

    http://www.wordwebonline.com/en/TREMOR
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/tremoring

    ReplyDelete
  7. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 20, 2012 at 5:30 PM

    REALLY??? I'll have to add it to my vocabulary and start using it. When Cuzzin Ruthie starts to use a word, you may be sure that it exists!!

    ReplyDelete