Wednesday, December 14, 2011

"Foolery, sir, does walk about the orb like the sun; it shines everywhere." (Twelfth Night)

.....I've been engaged in this sublime activity since August 2007, along with the medication that has been accompanying it; so, at times I point my index finger out from a cloud in order to see who would reach out to touch my finger with their finger---or is this only done in bars, or in movies, or in the Sistine Chapel?  I keep hoping that the medication would work its wonders and have someone like Jane Fonda, Marilyn Monroe, or Whoopee Goldberg be at the other end of this phantasmagorical inane episodic word play.  Doesn't usually happen--actually, it doesn't happen at all.  

.....What should happen and which hasn't is that Jon  (my stepson) should be able to get a job which is steady and long lasting and which pays well for him...he is deserving. He did have such an arrangement with some airline which moved away from Norfolk and left Jon behind.  And he loved that Job.  Today is Jon's birthday and he is several years' old.  And the good news is that he is going back to school...The school is on the internet but it's still a school which gives degrees.  I believe that Jon will be going on to study business courses.  Maybe someday he will be a stockbroker after he learns how to break some stocks.


DECEMBER 16, 2011


.....Funny thing happened today.  I had received a Citizen's watch as a gift at my retirement party last 1982, and I never had to put a battery in it.  I was so proud that I went all the way to 2011 and never needed a battery.  What I didn't know as I was bragging about the longevity of that watch is that Citizen makes watches that need only light -- not batteries.  Well, it broke down, finally, and I sent it away to California to be repaired.  I received an e-mail stating that the watch did not have the proper parts to fix it--and no wonder--it was 29 years old, and I'm sure the repair guys lost all the parts by 2011.  I was offered the choice of a new watch at half price and I grabbed at the opportunity.  I bought a new watch and I watched the tracking at the UPS web site.  I learned that the watch would be delivered yesterday afternoon.  It was never delivered!  Citizen requested UPS to ship the watch back.  So I called Citizen and learned that the reason they requested that the package be returned was that the package contained my old irreparable watch--not the one that I bought!  Can you believe that?  The repairmen are not Harvard grads, I imagine.  Well, I will just have to wait for the new watch to be on its way--I don't know when--the old one is probably still on its way back to California.

12 comments:

  1. Actually TODAY is my birthday, and I am definitely more than "several years old". But I will take the compliment as intended. Yes I would LOVE to have a full time well paying job, or just any job for that matter at this point. but I keep my head up and plug away till something comes my way.

    I am starting school in January 2012. I am going to an online college for my Bachelors in Science of Political Science. Since I will have almost 60 hours of "open electives" I am thinking of minoring in business. Thank you for the birthday wishes Baron. They have brightened my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a hint that may make your life a little easier. Coumadin (rat poison) is no longer the prime drug for patients with atrial fibrillation; pradaxa is.

    http://www.significancemagazine.org/details/webexclusive/871495/New-drug-in-stroke-prevention-for-patients-with-atrial-fibrillation.html

    One significant advantage of pradaxa is that you will not have your finger pricked so often, or even at all. An even more significant advantage is the sharply decreased incidents of stroke and other unpleasant consequences.

    Speak with your doctor PLEASE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netDecember 15, 2011 at 6:23 AM

    Baron - what's this stuff they've put you on?? It sounds really psychedelic, man! Can I have some, please?

    Jon - you are suffering from the recession, like a lot of people. My eldest, Sam, is a surgeon. My second, Rachel, is a teacher. However, my youngest, Manny, is an MSc in Public Health, but his day-job is working in a call centre. Fortunately he has a parallel career as a folk musician, at which he excels, and which already earns him money, although not enough on which to live. Yet.

    You are doing the right thing in bettering yourself by education, which will prove a bulwark in life whether or not it leads to employment. In the meantime, I suggest you do something really useful like joining the "We are the 99%" movement.

    Baron and everyone interested in Englsih grammar: I point out once more that although Manny is my youngest child, he cannot be my youngest son as I have only two sons. He is my younger son. If you've got fewer than three of something, your adjective can't take a superlative form, only a comparative one!

    Love to all, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday Jon.
    Wishes for you include a good job in 2012. (Jon, that is, not Baron)
    Look into pradaxa (Baron, that is, not Jon).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's a follow-up on the evils of Coumadin. The NY Times recently ran an article pointing out that 1/3 of all drug-related visits to the Emergency Room by elderly patients (whether we like it or not, we are both elderly) were a result of taking Coumadin.

    ONE-THIRD is a huge number when you consider how many dangerous drugs are taken by our generation.

    Pradaxa will make your life more pleasant, and therefore make the lives of those who love you more pleasant. PLEASE DO IT.

    http://factoidz.com/four-prescription-drugs-that-send-seniors-to-the-er/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Unca Phil, thanks for the medicinal advice regarding Pravdaxa; if it were spelled Pravdaxia and ordered with a Russian accent, it would be much more palatable-- especially with some tomato juice and a stalk of celery. However, I shall really discuss it with my cardiologist. If memory serves me correctly, however, Unca Phil once said, "If it's not broke, don't fix it."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coumadin is broken, however, and the Good Doctor should not be. Please read the NY Times article.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A while back, you asked Cuz Ruth and me, "What is this thing called love?"

    Love is wanting to be with another person as much as possible, in good times and bad. I'm not just talking; I've been there.

    If she is in pain, your greatest pleasure is to alleviate whatever is wrong. If she is very ill, you are grateful for every moment that God spares her.

    "Love" as in, "I love you," is often used as a ploy to gain some advantage, such as sex, money, or comfort. The real thing is quite rare, imo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netDecember 15, 2011 at 11:25 PM

    "Tomato juice and a stick of celery?" YUK!!! "Nuts and berries?" asked Yogi Bear with justifiable indignation. Get stuck into a mega-burger or a lobster Thermidor or a club sandwich or whatever takes your fancy! I'm roasting a goose this Xmas - much tastier and classier than turkey. If only our scientists could invent teleportation, I'd send some to you down the telephone wires!! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also believe that Coumadin is broken -- it makes your skin break and bleed at the slightest touch. Pravdaxa also sounds much cooler. Your talk with your doctor should be just to advise him what Uncle Phil is telling him to do -- immediately. Phil, after all, is obviously much wiser than most doctors, and would never lead the Baron astray.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I recall, I've already said that I would discuss Pravdaxa with my cardiologist. I can do no more. I am doing very well with Warfarin, however. I don't like the idea of changing to a medication I know nothing about. I will let you know what my cardiologist has to say after my next appointment with him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As for your watch... I suggest that you insist that your old Citizen watch be returned to you. It's very curious that they want to retain it. Even if it's broken, it's yours. There might even be a good watchmaker who can fix it. I thought their offer was they fix your watch (which they say they can't do), or you can buy one at half-price. Did they say you have to swap your old watch for a new one?

    ReplyDelete