Saturday, December 17, 2011

"I have seen a medicine that's able to breathe life unto a stone." (All's Well That Ends Well)

.....If you have been reading the comments lately, there is a medicinal conspiracy afoot to have me switch from my Warfarin treatments for A-Fib to Pradaxa, a relatively new drug--and an expensive one at that. Changing one drug for another when the one you are using is doing the job is not an easy choice--as I have found out on several occasions in the past with the VA medicines. Since I knew nothing about Pradaxa I checked it out on Google. This is just one of the articles I found.


I have atrial fibrillation.  How do I know which medication is best for 
me?  Whom should I talk to if I want to take dabigatran? (Pradaxa)


Talk to your health care professional to help decide.  There are many factors to 
consider when determining if warfarin or dabigatran is the best choice for you – 

stroke risk, bleeding risks, kidney function, personal and family factors, and 

financial considerations are just a few.  Each person should be evaluated 

individually to decide which blood thinner is best for them.  Some people with atrial 

fibrillation do not need to take a blood thinner at all.  Others may only need to take 

aspirin, while those with high enough stroke risk should take either warfarin or 
dabigatran. Kaiser Permanente health care professionals generally agree that 
people who are stable and well controlled on warfarin should continue with warfarin 
therapy.



.....Now, after reading an evaluation like this--especially the last sentence--it starts tremors in Baron's
 body; nevertheless, I promised I would discuss this with my doctor--and (as promised) I will--and that should make some of my readers happy for me. And I will pass my findings on to the Baron and his merry cohorts! (And I, myself, will be enthralled as long as I don't fall down).


3 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netDecember 17, 2011 at 9:40 PM

    Medication - yes, finding the right medication for anyone is a long process of trial and error. And sometimes it is necessary to have a "full and frank exchange of views" with ones doctors. We need all the intelligence, powers of observation and strength of character that we can muster - God help us!! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doc, do whatever comforts you, but try to be proactive and to keep up with the latest medical research in all areas that pertain to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Unca Phil, I certainly appreciate your research and your advice. I do try to keep up on the medication that pertains to my issues; however you beat me on the pradaxa. As I said, I will consult with my cardiologist on this one and also with the VA pharmacist--Dr. Kill (If you can believe that one; a scary name for a pharmacist). She is the chief of that VA pharmacy, and she knows my medications and their use. I've been on top of this for years. Right now, my medications appear to be doing what they are supposed to. But new ones are popping up all the time.

    ReplyDelete