Monday, December 20, 2010

"Women and Elephants never forget." (Dorothy Parker)

.....I'm sorry about politicizing yesterday's blog post.  I really made a pact with myself not to get involved in politics, because I know I'll always have good friends who will not agree with what I have to say--and I don't want them to drop me like a hot potato.  And I'm also sorry to have used such a worn out cliche; but I can't think of anything else with which they can drop me.  And speaking of dropping, I am guilty of dropping several things during the day.  Every day.  I don't know what to do about it.  Today, while sharing lunch with Rhoda at the Bagel Tree, I first dropped the bill, and then I dropped my ID card from my wallet and she had to pick them up.  I really do expect to drop a few more things during the rest of the day; and perhaps with no one around to pick up after me; I certainly cannot bend down to do it--not with my back.  But dropping things is not my only bete noir; I also rip the skin off some part of my body at least once a week; my skin is paper thin.  If Rho is around when it happens, she just dips into her purse and pulls out whatever size band-aid is required.  Amazing, eh?  But that's what she does.  I attribute the condition of my skin to having been exposed to the sun for most of my life, and failing to use the proper sun-screen--or any sun-screen.  Live and learn.

.....As long as I'm confessing stuff, I might as well divulge a few other faults, some of which I can control, and others which I cannot.  For example, I find it very frustrating not to be able to place the mouse pointer right on the monitor where I need it without a few tries because I have tremors in my right hand; this, I suppose, is a product of ageing--I admit it.  I have aged like everyone else, but I've had more practice at it than most.  And, consequently, I've become very good at tremorrizeing a lot better than most.  Then there is the cane; I've had to use one to get around the house without falling down and breaking another hip, and I doubt whether or not I can find a hip donor.  But the real problem is not the cane, rather it's my memory.  I can never remember if I left it in the den, or the kitchen, or the living room or bedroom or bathroom.  And if you've been listening, guess who has to find it.  It's embarrassing.  Of course, I do have one or two other faults, but I do not feel like continuing this self flagellation. 

.....So, let's review for posterity's sake: I'm a liberal, a Democrat, a dropeasy, a bleeder, a trembler, and a partial case of dementia.  I have some good qualities also, but I've forgotten what they are.

7 comments:

  1. I wish Andy Rooney were as good as you. Bob Fox

    ReplyDelete
  2. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netDecember 20, 2010 at 11:33 PM

    Course you have good qualities, dear Cuz Baron! Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Cuz Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy Rooney also wishes that he were as good as the Baron in any category, even in being a curmudgeon. The Baron's rich and varied talents have created envy in the hearts and minds of lesser mortals.

    Our abilities may diminish with age, but the alternative is not acceptable. Rage on, Time, the Baron may be bloodied but his head is still unbowed. He will never yield to your tyranny or any other.

    And God bless you, Rhoda Ross, for taking such good care of him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Doc's good qualities include, but are not limited to: a brilliant mind; a loving heart; a warrior's spirit but with compassion; generosity; a sense of humor second to none; a strong sense of family and friendship. That's just for starters. There is much more even if he is, at the moment, self-deprecating. THE RED BARON FOR MAN OF THE CENTURY!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had the Doc decided to go into the theater, as an actor and/or director, he would be known throughout the world. Had he decided to write, he would be among the giants of literature. Instead, he devoted himself to educating young people, some of whom followed in his footsteps.

    Re-read Gray's ELEGY IN A COUNTRY CHURCHYARD and realize that this man remained true to his ideals and that we are all lucky to have encountered him.

    Let all the coming generations be proud of this man among men.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He never heard of you either, which is his loss.

    ReplyDelete