Friday, December 17, 2010

MY 10 BEST VEGETABLES

.....I said I would write a list of my "10 Best Vegetables" and so I will--not necessarily in order of taste or frequency--: 1) collards 2) kohlrabi 3) okra 4) artichokes 5) Brussels sprouts 6) cauliflower 7) chard 8) leek 9) parsnips and finally, 10) rhubarb.  There, now I've gotten that over with. Yummy yum.  And now just a couple of comments about the comments I have received anent (yes, anent. Is that ok?) my listing of the 10 best movies I  remember having seen and enjoyed.  Mr. PB couldn't believe that I saw Clark Gable as the star in "Casablanca" and neither can I.  Obviously, this makes me believe that he will not believe my 10 best vegetable list.  Give me a break; I'm 86 and 2/3. I can't remember everything, and I believe I do fondly remember those vegetables...uh...mmmhmm?  Well, to be honest, not all 10; maybe 5.  But given the 5 I remember, the other 5 fall right into place.  

.....To digest a little from the subject, yesterday my monitor died.  I panicked.  I could not count all my money, and I could not get to my blog fast enough to put in Humphrey Blowhard instead of Clark Grable as the star of "Casabianca".  I do not cotton to errors in this, my definitive journal of my retirement years that I am writing for the benefit of my grandchildren if they recall that I am the Paternoster here in Condoland.  Well, perhaps not my grandchildren--perhaps my great grandchildren.  Now, there's a thought.  They'll probably run right down to Publix to try out their Great Grandfather's Vegetables.  And for their benefit because they are part of the family, I may list my 10 best fruit(s) shortly so that they can reap the benefits of the Baron's culinary wisdom.

.....Well, I have once more digested from the subject: anyway, to make a long story short, I called in a monitor doctor who gave my 17" monitor a proper burial in the dumpster and who replaced it with a 19" model, and all for $35.  I was going to offer him a copy of my memoirs, but I decided against it.  He probably reads only computer magazines.  Now for my nap.

9 comments:

  1. Baron, I believe you mean "digress". You don't "digest" subjects; only vegetables, but perhaps not yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear husband, Now that I know your 10 best vegetables, be prepared for me to cook and serve these veggies. AND, you will have to eat each and every serving before you can leave the table. Now this will be a change from LeSeur peas and asparagus. Bring on the collard greens! Anyone have a good recipe?
    Your HONEY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, but I do believe your 10 best vegetables. They are typical of the inner Baron--a true blue, dyed in the silk, southerner, a rebel in the highest sense.

    And no excuses about being 86 2/3. That is a major achievement, albeit only a way station to triple digits. In addition, your brain functions better than that of most 90 year-olds. We are blessed to enjoy so much wisdom and that is to be taken literally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We cannot let this blog be reduced to treacle even if Lewis Carroll would be attracted to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netDecember 17, 2010 at 11:33 PM

    Very funny, dear Cuz! I loved all your jokes, especially the ones about the doctor. In fact, everyone in the "House" enjoyed them!!! Btw, you still haven't told me which version of "Mutiny on the Bounty" you loved so much. I can remember the names of the three actors who played Captain Bligh: Charles Laughton; Trevor Howard (this was the one with Marlon Brando playing Fletcher Christian); and Sir Anthony Hopkins. Does that help?
    I don't like any brassicas. I just let my bosom swing. Boom Boom! Cuz Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cuz Ruth, I prefer Laughton as Bligh. And which jokes, doctor, and brassicas references originate in this blog? I only write 'em; don't expect me to remember them also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netDecember 18, 2010 at 3:12 PM

    Brassicas, Cuz Baron, are the whole family of vegetables comprising cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, etc. I think we have a slight disparity of culture here: English people are a nation of vegetable-growers and the word is well known here. However, in deference to your seniority and linguistic superiority, I will put mine back on again, and conceal my Bounty. Luvya! Cuz Ruth PS Yes, Laughton was best. The re-make with Brando arrived to popular and critical acclaim, but in retrospect it was pretty bad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ruthie, if you just let your bosom swing, you must not be wearing "brassicas" which I presume is a Britishism...or a neologism for brassier. Tsk.Tsk.

    ReplyDelete