Tuesday, December 14, 2010

MY 10 BEST MOVIES LIST

.....Oh, yes, I know...it's been a few days since I last wrote something, but I've been very busy rehearsing for the next show here in Huntington Lakes.  It's coming in March, but auditions have been held and rehearsals have begun; it takes a few months to whip 60s, 70s, and 80s into some kind of shape so that they will be entertaining; not that I'm doing the whipping.  I will, however, be performing and hopefully, entertaining.  No leading roles for me any longer; it's hard to prance around the stage with a cane. I will most likely be singing "Rich Man" from "Fiddler" and reciting "Well, ya Got Trouble" from "Music Man".  I did these two numbers about fifteen years ago, but I still remember them--so rehearsing will be a slam dunk.  Anyway, this blog will be taking a lighter tone today; I have already revealed the best ten sights that I have seen in my journeys, and so now I will stay closer to home and state the ten best films I've seen in my 86 years of seeing films.  

.....I won't put these in any particular order; they are just the 10 best films that I can remember seeing, and I must have seen 100 if I've seen any.  First from 1937 starring Ronald Colman is THE LOST HORIZON. It's about this paleontologist who finds a magical city in the Himalayas called "Shangra-La".  At 13 years of age at the time I was in dire need of a magical city and I found it in this film.  Shangra-La does exist, and like the Holy Grail, must be found.
.....Also, in 1937 I saw a film that I can never forget--SNOW WHITE and THE SEVEN DWARFS starring Snow White and Dopey.  How can anyone who ever saw that Disney film ever forget it?  People are still trying to answer the trivia question, "Name the seven dwarfs".  Let's see, now; there was Dopey, Doc, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Bashful, and ............ ??? Oh, well, try Santa's reindeer.
.....In 1939, I took my mother on her birthday to Radio City Music Hall in the city to see GONE WITH THE WIND in living color.  It starred Clark Gable and Vivian Leigh and was an Academy Award winner that year, and was an epic film about the Civil War.  Don't miss it when it comes to your theater.
.....Fast forward now to 1943.  I was given some time off from the killing fields after our plane crash, went to London and saw CASABLANCA with Clark Gable and my favorite actress, Ingrid Bergman; a great love story and a great song which I can never stop singing in the shower or in the elevator where the acoustics are agreeable--although they may accent all the imperfections in my voice.
.....Not that I did not see any great movies between 1943 and 1972, but in 1972 I saw one of the ten best ever...in my view--THE GODFATHER with Marlon Brando.  I really should say, "The Godfather Series" because there were three Godfather films, and each of them was riveting.

....Well, now, I can't go on till the next time when I will reveal the next five films on my best-ever-seen list.  So, between now and then, stay in heightened suspense...and wait. There will be some surprises--no doubt about that.

5 comments:

  1. Snow White Trivia: There was an eighth dwarf, but he was cut from the movie because his presence created awkward moments: "Gassy"

    ReplyDelete
  2. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netDecember 14, 2010 at 9:59 PM

    Surprises? Like "The Three Stooges Go Camping?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice start to this list, some great classics there. I can't wait to see the second half of this list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely cannot believe that the Doc believes that Clark Gable starred in CASABLANCA. Please don't tell Humphrey Gocart, later husband of Lauren Bagel.

    ReplyDelete