Monday, November 8, 2010

Veterans' Day and Heroism

This Thursday is Veterans’ Day and I am reminded about something I have thought about for many years and on many occasions; that is, the concept of "heroism". Webster defines heroism as "a heroic act especially in fulfilling a high purpose or attaining a noble end." A friend upon introducing me to a grandchild recently told him that I was a "war hero". I never cared for that designation, and I told the youngster—a teenager-- that the true heroes were not the survivors, but those who fought and didn't come back. The fact that I was awarded medals does not make me heroic; they simply document the quantity and quality of my service in WWII.  People tend to make heroes of "warriors" when actually heroism abounds in the lives of ordinary people--people with the moral virtues and courage to accept and meet the challenges of life, people who aspire to greatness, who attempt to “fulfill a high purpose”, people who change our lives and ultimately the lives of others.   Sir Edmund Hillary didn’t say the mountain was “too high.” Lincoln didn’t say Emancipation was “too controversial”. Both found themselves in conditions demanding  indomitable  courage.   They aspired to greatness, and they achieved it.
In Aristotle's “ Ethics" he defines the moral virtues--such as "courage"--as being in a "mean state" between two vices--one of defect and one of excess. Consequently courage is a virtue; foolhardiness is a “ defect” in that it involves a lack of sufficient fear, and cowardice is a defect which is an excess of fear that prohibits action. So, by this philosophy, who is the hero? Certainly not the person who is without fear. It is the person who has an excess of fear but who overcomes it in order to change his own life and perhaps the life of another--or many others. My heroes are Joan d'Arc,  Julius Caesar (who went to the Senate in spite of dire warnings), Lincoln, Einstein, the Wright Brothers, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King, and Drs. Salk and Sabin.

A full life offers many opportunities for heroism. In New York on 9/11 the firefighters knew their job was dangerous, and for certain when they entered the towers to rescue people they were not without fear. The fire was their antagonist, but they pressed on to “fulfill a high purpose” with nobility and courage. They were heroes. No matter what your job or situation happens to be, life deals you a hand; if you don't leave the table, but stay the game, you too can be a hero. A soldier in battle, faces death at any moment; yet he knows what he must do. If he sees a grenade thrown at his buddy's feet and he throws his body on it--it's an automatic act; fear or fearlessness does not enter into his action. It is something that he must do. And those who were never in battle, find it impossible to understand. Thus if we attempt to find  heroes in the war in Iraq and Afghanistan—then what is the “high purpose” that we are trying to fulfill? And what is “the noble end”? (World War II had it; Vietnam did not). That is what the families of the American dead will be asking. And if I were fighting in those wars, I would be asking the same thing.  And my answer would be “There is no high purpose; nor is there a noble end.” And insofar as my being a "war hero" to the grandson, I've done more heroic things in my life out of uniform rather than in it.

4 comments:

  1. A little clarification, please. Surely you are not implying in your blog that because there is no "high purpose" or "noble end" in the wars in Iraq or Afghanistan, that there are no soldiers fighting that war who can be called "heroes"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems to me that the Webster's definition is a bit vague. First, to describe "heroism" as "a heroic act" still does not explain the root "hero." Also a "high purpose" and a "noble end" are quite subjective things. Could not a hero to one group be considered a villian to another? Can there be a heroic villian? Was Robert E. Lee a hero? Did he not fight for a cause that included the continuation of slavery?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I"m not just "implying" it. I said it, and defined my concept of heroism very carefully. I said that the real heroes are those who gave their lives, who could not raise families, who could not have children and grandchildren,who could not enjoy life. Simply because you are serving your country in a war that has no high purpose does not make you a "hero". I stated my definition of a hero, and one may accept it-- or not--as on chooses. It doesn't matter to me;and I will have no quarrel with your decision. As for me, I'll stay the course. Because I gave my soul in combat in WWII makes me a patriot--but not necessarily a hero. Patriotism is one thing, heroism another. The soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan are not heroes--they are soldiers. Heroism goes beyond soldiering--it is enduring and special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Webster's definition is not vague. Slavery is not a not a noble end, and certainly not a high purpose. Robert E. Lee was a patriot for his side, but by definition, not a hero.

    ReplyDelete