Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Big Affair in New York in the Cold!

.....Just received an email from cuz Ruth all the way from England lamenting that there is "a gap" in her life.  It poured guilt into my day because the gap occurred because she hadn't seen any posting on this blog for awhile and she was concerned that something was wrong across the Atlantic.  But that is not the case.  The fact is that I am writing this on the hotel's guest computer in New York.  We came here last Tuesday to attend a Bat Mitzvah of Rho's granddaughter, Allyson.  On Thursday I was forced to don a tuxedo in order to take family pictures at the temple.  I could not button the top button on my shirt, so I had to make my tie ride up as far as possible.  We were there a couple of hours taking pictures.  I hope I didn't spoil any of them, because I have never been taught how to smile.  Once in a while I laugh at a joke but that is a rare event. 

.....To back up one day, on Wednesday we went to the Roosevelt Field mall.  That location is the noted as the one where Lindbergh took off for his flight across the Atlantic, and there is a plaque there to commemorate that event.  I was not really able to wander around the mall with my cane, so Rho had to locate someone who was able to get a wheelchair for me, and after a while she succeeded as she usually does when she tries something.  The primary reason for going there was to have something to do, and so we did do something--we had lunch at the food court.  I had a hot dog which wasn't so hot, and she had something Asian.  Then she decided she had to have her nails done, and so we shortly found a salon where I waited while she was nailing it.  Since she had something she wanted, I decided it was my turn, so we stopped at a kiosk and bought a bag of dark chocolate non-paraiels (Since I don't know how to spell it, I just stuck a bunch of vowels in it--I'll check it later. There is no dictionary in New York).

.....I really don't remember what we did on Friday except having a very late lunch and I waited at the beauty parlor for RH+ to have her hair done.  But I do remember what we did yesterday; in the morning we went to services at the temple to hear Allyson do her Bat MItzvah thing.  She didn't do a bad job reading her "haftorah"--a section of the Bible.
In the evening we attended the reception and, truthfully, I never ever heard music so loud as it went all night long--with the same beat--it never stopped and all the kids were on the dance floor jumping up and down thinking, I believe, that they believed they were dancing.  In order to escape the mind bending decibels, I removed myself the quite of the lobby until Rhoda came and dragged me back inside to perform the candle lighting ceremony.  The food was pretty good, except that it wasn't a "sit down" meal; it was a buffet and the lines at each station were quite long before you could grab a plate.  It was about 12:30a.m. when we got back to our room at the hotel.  I flopped onto the bed and watched a football game--and eventually I went to sleep.  This evening we are heading to Renee's to finish off the buffet leftovers.  Tomorrow we are going home, and hopefully this blog is free of errors and boredom.  But at least it will close the gap that Ruth was complaining about.

2 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netNovember 21, 2010 at 10:16 PM

    Thanks dear Cuz, for filling that great big gap, and also for 2 honourable mentions on your posting! Cuz Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delight to check in and see a blog entry from you all the way from NY. Thanks to cuz Ruth for having a gap in her life! Glad the Bat Mitzvah festivities and visit to NY are going well and are eventful in a good way. Look forward to hearing more when you get home.

    ReplyDelete