Sunday, June 13, 2010

It's the same old, same old.

.....I've been reading a biography of Benjamin Franklin who was born on January 17, 1706 and by my calculation that was 300 years ago. If I were to live the life he led, I'd be worn out by the time I was 30, and I don't think I'd make it to 40. The man was tireless; especially in bed. What amazes me is, that with the exception of the Puritans, morality and sexual promiscuity seemed to be the order of the day. Ben's mother, Mary, bore ten children by a previous "relationship." When she was 21 and still unmarried, she moved to Boston. Less than five months later, she met and married Ben's father, Josiah Franklin. What happened to her ten children in Philadelphia is left to the imagination, as is any knowledge about whether or not Josiah was, himself, previously married. Over the next twelve years she had six more, and along with the five children Josiah contributed that made eleven living in a tiny house. They did have another son who died as a child. Their next was Benjamin, who luckily for us, survived. So, by my calculation, Mary Franklin had eighteen children, a veritable baby machine that cranked out babies. I would call that sexual harassment. I'm assuming that back then, the pill and the condom had not yet been invented.

.....Franklin was not happy with the situation in Boston, so at the age of 17 he ran away to Philadelphia, a huge and thriving city of 35,000 residents who could now fit into any of the baseball stadiums in the United States. After getting into the printing business and getting engaged to Deborah, his landlady's daughter, at the age of 18 he had to go to London to buy printing equipment for his boss. At the time, London was enjoying a golden age of peace and prosperity and prostitutes. Franklin with a lusty sexual appetite enjoyed the acquaintances he had with prostitutes and other women of low repute. I suppose you could call this a kind of adultery since he had a girlfriend back in Philly. Also, Franklin was asked by a good friend of his, James Ralph, to watch over Ralph's girlfriend while he had to go to another city on business. Ben watched over her all right; however, as part of the watching, he attempted to seduce her, and when Ralph returned, he was furious and broke off the friendship. After two years in London, Franklin returned to Philadelphia, and while searching for a wife, preferably with a large dowry, he fathered an illegitimate son, whom he named William. The name of William's mother is shrouded in mystery.

.....Since there was no way he would find a woman with a large dowry who would consent to marry a lowly printer, Franklin finally began a common-law marriage to Deborah when he was 24. Years later, Ben's son, William, also fathered an illegitimate child. Ho Hum. Like father, like son. Adulterous behavior in the 18th Century seemed to be the order (or custom) of the day. So, in 300 years nothing has changed; so why blame Tiger and Edwards, and the biblical Abraham, and et cetera? I recently read an article where the author claimed that there is no man who has not committed adultery. I wonder if that can be true??? Well, since the 18th Century, I believe America has Puritanicalized.

10 comments:

  1. A child has more fun in childhood than an adult does in adultery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Bob: Don't be alarmed; there's still time.
    Dear Phil: Not necessarily. Look at Tiger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Eldrick had was FUN? I don't think so. More like compulsive, infantile, sick behavior with lasting negative consequences. Real "fun" results in pleasant memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emrys (formerly Barry)June 14, 2010 at 1:05 PM

    Phil -- I've heard endless numbers of peers, colleagues and even casual aquaintances whine endlessly about what miserable childhoods they had. I've never heard anyone complain that they had a miserable adultery.

    And Bob -- Since the Baron began this by referring to Ben Franklin, I would strongly suggest that you read (if you haven't already) his advice on selecting a mistress. It should be required reading for all men, even if they only lust in their hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Emry (or should I call you Barry?) I deny writing a book about selecting a mistress. (Not that I don't know how.)

    Dear Phil OK, so not Eldrick; but how about Edwards or New York's Governor? Or President Carter's fantasies while masturbating?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You may call me Emrys. That has been my on-line name since the '80s. And are you sure you didn't write that manual about selecting a mistress? Could you have forgotten (the writing, not the selecting)? As I remember, the original copy of Franklin's note, which I saw when visiting the Library of Congress, had a hand written note at the bottom that said, "I'd like to thank my old friend Baron Ross for the ideas listed above." It was signed, "Ben." I never understood that note -- until now.

    And a thought for all -- Should one comment about a subject or activity one has never tried and of which one has no personal knowledge? I don't play golf. Should my antipathy to golf be taken seriously by you golfers or would you advise, "don't knock it if you haven't tried it."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emry,are you telling all that you haven't tried masturbating?

    ReplyDelete
  8. A master has more fun in masturbating than a child does in childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe that it was Woody Allen who said that, "Masterbation is making love to someone you really like." I would never challenge someone named, "Woody."

    ReplyDelete