Saturday, June 19, 2010

ENNUI (Could also mean "On we" which means nothing.)

.....To say the truth, and I hate to have to say it, I'm getting bored. Even though today is our 27th Anniversary, I have nothing to say today. The Baroness is in New York because her daughter, Renee, is getting her Bat Mitzvah in temple tonite and then there will be a reception in the house afterward where thirty friends and relations have been invited. I asked Rho what Renee is serving, but she said she didn't know. I didn't go because I would have absolutely nothing to do there for a week. I'd be totally bored. No sense in renting a car because I would have absolutely no place to go nor anyone to see; except perhaps Rho's parents at the cemetery. Ordinarily I would play golf and spend some time with Bernie, Ye Olde Counselor, but I haven't heard from him and don't know if he is still alive; and I can't play golf anymore. But, ironically, I'm also bored here with virtually nothing to do. So this blog will virtually be about nothing.

.....I will type stuff as it virtually arrives in my head, and the first thing about nothing is that Renee's name should have an accent above the second "e" but I forget what you call it. There is no way that I can think of to get that accent here. But, it's not that important; just thinking about it contributes to my boredom. The next nothing is that I couldn't sleep last night and got up at 5:30a.m. and wound up in the kitchen; and since I had nothing to do in the kitchen I went back to bed and read my book about Ben Franklin. He was quite a man with incredible energy and "joie de vivre." He and the guy whose picture is on the nickel (not the buffalo) got together to write the preamble to our Constitution. John Adams was also around at that time and was jealous of Franklin's fame around the world for having captured electricity from the sky. And then there was Hamilton, who counted our money, and the immortal John Hancock who invented the saying, "Put your John Hancock here." It amazes me that we had so many outstanding politicians back then--all at the same time. We should be so lucky. But that time is past and I don't want to bore you, too. It' bad enough that I am.

.....When 7:30a.m. rolled around, I was fortunate enough to relieve my boredom somewhat by watching the Netherlands and Japan duke it out in the World Cup, followed at 10:30 by Ghana and Australia. When the TV cameras pan around the stadium, all of them seem to be filled to the rafters by game time, and what I cannot understand is how many supporters of each country's team could afford the expense of attending the few weeks of World Cup play. They had to fly to South Africa or take a Cruise ship; then the ticket prices are off the wall; and they had to travel to the several different cities where their team played and pay for a hotel. I could go on, but at each game--there they were with their horns that assault the ear. Yesterday, I was furious when the referee did not allow the American team a goal that would have won the game. It gnawed at my innards the rest of the day and night; my gorge rose at it. I know that many of my readers could care less about this news about soccer; to them it's nothing, but I warned everyone that this blog would be about nothing and I have been sticking to my word. After all, why should anyone care about a 40 year old's Bat Mitzvah or whether or not she has an accent on top of an "e"? Or care about my getting up at 5:30am when I usually sleep until 11am? Or care about a game the whole world cares about? So, you see I love talking about nothing, it's the only thing I know anything about.

1 comment:

  1. You missed a great opportunity. If you'd come to NY, I'd have taken you out to lunch or dinner on one of the days or evenings. Also, in NYC there is always something to do. Just sitting in the courtyard at Lincoln Center and watching the pretty girls go by is an afternoon's entertainment.

    I'm heading out to the pool to sit in the sun.

    ReplyDelete