Wednesday, June 9, 2010

"The Beat Goes On."

.....My neighbor, Lou, who lives on the "Penthouse" floor just as we do (although we consider the PH on the elevator to mean "Poorhouse), was kind enough to send me the context of an article written by Pilar Rahola a "leftist" Spanish journalist, activist and politician who has had her articles published in Spain and throughout some of the most important newspapers in Latin America. What she has to say in this article really needs to be read by as many people as possible. So, that is why I am publishing some of the many points she makes relative to the current Israel "issue" in the media. I realize that thousands of my followers are waiting breathlessly for this posting on my blog.

.....Ms. Rahola writes "Why has there been no leadership in support of the right of Israel to exist? Why is there never any outrage against the acts of terrorism committed against Israel? Why is there never any outcry by the European left against Islamic fanaticism?

She continues: "I am not Jewish. Ideologically I am left and by profession a journalist. Why am I not anti-Israel like my colleagues? Because as a non-Jew I have the historic responsibility to fight against Jewish hatred and currently against the hatred for their historic homeland, Israel. To fight against anti-Semitism is not the duty of the Jews, it is the duty of non-Jews. Principles that Islamic fundamentalism systematically destroys. That is to say, that as a non-Jew, journalist and lefty, I have a triple moral duty with Israel, because if Israel is destroyed, liberty, modernity and culture will be destroyed too.

The struggle of Israel, even if the world doesn't want to accept it, is the struggle of the world.

.....Sure Israel makes mistakes, just as we do. Sure she is stubborn and often frustrating to our administration; but that's the nature of the native Israeli. And who says that's not how Israel should be? After all, what other country is completely surrounded by enemies? What other country has had 10,000 rockets launched against it? And where was the world, the U.N. and the media at that time? The Gazans are not starving; Israel sends hundreds of truckloads of humanitarian aid to Gaza every week. They don't need a boatload of provocateurs to aid them.

I would like to point out to readers that there are some interesting comments following my blog titled "Ripeness is all." They are in some sense relative to the discussion in this post.




3 comments:

  1. Good post, imo, but I am admittedly prejudiced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the problem, as intimated by the Latino lady journalist, is not quite as you have stated: not everyone hates Jews at all, although more than enough do. The problem is that those who like Jews and sympathise with their history expect them to behave like saints, which they would not expect from any other people.

    Your comments appreciated. Hope you and Rh+ are OK, and surviving the trials of old age. Got to dash - I'm very busy on a commissioned poem at the moment, required at short notice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth Grimsley, you doubtless mean well, but the Baron is far from old age.

    ReplyDelete