Saturday, April 3, 2010

Reminiscences in the rear view mirror.

.....RH+ just left to see a show at a local high school with her girlfriends, of whom she has many. I don't know the name of the show, but what does it matter...it's entertainment, and I know a little about that; entertainment was my second career. What I mean is that when I came to this community, I read in the newsletter that comes out once a month that there would be auditions for parts in Gilbert and Sullivan's "HMS Pinafore". I loved G & S's music since I was in high school and I decided that I would try out for a part; what would I have to lose? So I did, and that began my second "career" because I got the lead role--Sir Joseph Porter, KCB. Please don't ask what KCB means; I don't have a clue. Perhaps I'll google it. Anyway, that show took place in 1992 in our 600 seat "Theatre of the Performing Arts." Following that, I played Major General Stanley in "Pirates of Penzance"; and Koko in "The Mikado." Besides Gilbert and Sullivan's operettas, down through the years, I had lead roles in "Showboat", "Music Man", "Pajama Game", and I played Tevye in "Fiddler on the Roof". What more could a retiree like me ask for as a second career? I decided that I got my start as an actor while I taught English in high school. You had to be a good entertainer in order to prevent the students from falling asleep. So, for 30 years, I entertained them. And that's how I managed to get leading roles in Broadway shows played way, way off Broadway, but nevertheless the shows sold out.

.....Between shows, I had the time to write and publish my autobiography, "Memoirs of a Tailgunner." And so, besides being a famous unknown star, I became also a famous unknown author. In addition to writing that book, I've been writing this blog--I guess since 2007. All of these have also come out in book form so that they will be available to my descendants--in the event that my great, great grandchildren care to learn about an ancestor's life in retirement in the tropical paradise of south Florida. I am now recovered from the melanoma surgery, the broken hip surgery, and the bronchitis so I'm a free man for whatever affliction attacks me next. But I do have my cane for protection.

3 comments:

  1. Please continue writing the blog every day or so. I believe it is good for most of us, especially those who had the luck and pleasure of knowing and learning from you at NSHS.
    The blog is a way we can continue to learn from you. You continue to be a mentor! NSHS '60

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back in the day, Alan Levine was a distinguished right wing while Alex (The Apache) Epanchin patrolled the left. Sometimes we flip-flopped them.

    In those days, year and year year out, North Shore (and Sea Cliff before that) were arguably the best soccer team on Long Island.

    As a freshman he Alan set a long jump record of 19 feet, good enough to win almost all varsity dual meets. For some reason, he never jumped further.

    Allan is a very successful adult. After becoming a medical doctor, he added to his skill set (not necessarily in order of importance) by becoming a psychiatrist; a husband with a truly lovely wife; a fly fisherman, a tennis player, and a good father.

    Unfortunately for some of us, but not Alan, he lives in Colorado.

    This public service announcement has been made to bring some of you up to date.

    Like so many of us, Alan has been positively influenced by Doc Ross, and is good enough to publicly witness same. That is the immortal Baron's legacy. Let's raise our glasses on high to the two Docs--Ross and Levine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellin Bliss JaegerApril 4, 2010 at 4:25 PM

    You certainly entertained us, that and your love for literature and your deep understanding of the material is what (I think) made you the teacher we all remember and still revere.

    I remember Alan Levine - and where he lived, but would doubt he remembers our car pool to Sunday School (where?) He Dad was a Doctor too.

    I love G&S. They used to produce the plays at the old Sea Cliff Summer Theater that burned down the night of our Junior Prom.........

    2 glasses raised and 4 "cups of wine".... to the Doc

    ReplyDelete