Friday, April 16, 2010

Equality of two domestic powers breed scrupulous faction." (Antony & Cleopatra)

....An article in the newspaper this morning quoted Sarah Palin at the Boston Tea Party Bash as saying, "...the government should be working for the people, not the other way around." Duh! I believe the government just expanded insurance coverage for 32 million Americans who are currently uninsured. I believe the government also allowed children living with their parents to remain on their parents' health plan until the age of 26. I believe the government has worked for the people by preventing insurance companies from denying coverage to people who are sick and for pre-existing conditions. What kind of misinformation and nonsense is Sarah Palin spewing from her vituperative mouth?Let's examine some of the accomplishments of Democratic administrations: Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, the GI Bill, the Federal Deposit and Insurance Corporation (FDIC), the Minimum Wage law, the eight hour day, the Peace Corps, the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act, the Equal Pay Act, the Federal Reserve System, FEMA, and Unemployment Compensation. Every one of the foregoing programs/laws were initiated and were passed despite the objections of most Republicans. They are all historic accomplishments. It seems to me that Obama is moving in the same direction--that is, passing legislation like the historic health care reform bill over every single Republican's dead body. Just go to Google and type in "Republican accomplishments", and see what you get over the past 20 years--nada.


.....Here in South Florida, there was a local election yesterday that sent Ted Deutch, a Democrat to fill out Congressman Robert Wexler's term in office despite Sarah Palin's Tea Party hosting radical elements which have questioned the legitimacy of everything from President Obama's U.S. birth place to his college degree. What a hysterical reaction to his election. Here in Palm Beach County Sid Dinerstein, chairman of the county Republican Party said "Too many people in Deutch's district are so committed to the Democratic Party that even when their own care is being rationed, Israel is being threatened and their grandchildren are being bankrupted they'll still vote for a Democrat." Well, thanks for that. I'd like to ask how is care being "rationed"? How is Israel being "threatened", except by Iran? And how does this wise Republican who thinks he is smarter than the president know that our grandchildren will be "bankrupted". What is he? Some kind of Guru CPA? So, we still have to deal with "no, no no, no" from Boston to Palm Beach--the same kind of obstructive nonsense that occurred while Democatic presidents passed legislation that, indeed, worked for the people. So, Sarah, opposed to the kind of change this administration is seeking says to her Tea Party (De-Caf Lipton?) "Is this what their 'change' is all about? I want to tell 'em, nah, we'll keep clinging to our Constitution and our guns and our religion --and you can keep the change." Oh, really? Her guns and her religion and her Constitution? Quite a trifecta. And I guess her President Bush used her guns, her religion, and her Constitution to go to war and to pass the Patriot Act.

3 comments:

  1. "Part I
    Doc:
    It is most kind and generous of you to include in your blog of 4/4, comments about me, by you and Phil.B.
    Just for the record, I was a left wing on the NSHS soccer team, and I jumped 19 feet 10 and 1/2 inches, one time only, at the North Shore High School Relays in Great Neck, when I was a freshman. I even have photo of this event with Phil B. looking on while I am in mid-air. I consider my self more than fortunate to have attended NSHS, and to have had both Doc and Phil B. as teachers and mentors. I owe much to both of these gentlemen for their interest in me and support, in a number of important areas, while I was evolving and shucking my shell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part II
    Looking in my rear view mirror, I was lucky to have had the opportunity to become a doctor. This decision was overdetermined by family dynamics, many of which were not healthy. This is probably why I became a psychiatrist combining my emotional sensitivity with my drive to figure out my past, so as not to repeat it. Since 1974, when I entered private practice, I have been working with kids,adults, and families. This choice of specialty was most fortuitous as it has been a fascinating, long and productive career which still continues two days per week. This work is rarely boring and usually satisfying, and I should be able to keep doing it for awhile. And I still have of plenty of free time to pursue fly fishing tennis, and keeping up with my venerable mentors. And I have a wonderful wife and three daughters who have not yet turned me into a King Lear. Who could ask for more? Yes, I am on social security and medicare. The former has helped me to be "semi-retired," while the later has helped me cope with a few medical problems, affecting my heart, spine and prostate.

    Keep in the blogging! It is good for all of who desire, perspective, wisdom, and a health y connection with the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog should be sent to the sun sentinel and the pb post. It's too good to be read by just your blog readers. It belongs to every sane and sensible person in the County. They need some relief from the "tea party" nuts.

    ReplyDelete