Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"No man in his senses will dance." (Cicero)

.....O body swayed to music, O brightening glance,How can we tell the dancer from the dance? ...William Butler Yeats.....
.....and sometime you can't tell the hip from the hipster. It's been an experience I would rather do without, but since I broke my hip, I've finally been discharged from the hospital and from the penitentiary where each day the care takers had me perform exercises that seemed to have very little to do with my injury, which befell me when I tried dancing with RH+ and my cane. While on the floor, peering at the ceiling, unable to rise, I couldn't tell the dancer from the dance, nor did I care to. I understand that the flight to Fort Lauderdale from St. Kitts cost $35,00 which I shall refuse to pay. Let Medicare do that chore. One novel event, among many, was being awakened at 5:30 a.m. while the room was pitch black, and a CNA asked if I wanted a shower. Is there anyone at all on the planet who showers at those hours? A CNA is a Certified Nurses Assistant who generally comes from a Caribbean island and who speaks English as though it were French. Not wanting to hurt her feelings, I showered in the p.m.
.....Now, never in my previous life had I ever allowed a black or white woman shower me, but it was a new experience among many experiences in my life. I was dumbfounded as she helped me get undressed. For a moment I thought I would shower in my underwear, but who on this planet does that? Therefore I am now nude. To my knowledge, no woman would permit a male to shower her like I was being showered. Totally embarrassed, I stepped into the shower and the CNA washed my back and my hair, and then she put a little soap on a face towel--handed it to me and said, "You can wash your privates." I said I would be delighted if only I could find them--an ageing problem.
.....Naturally the food in that establishment was mostly inedible. Luckily, I had a care taker with the same surname, gracing her blessed soul, who brought me pastrami sandwiches and Chinese food. Without her, I cannot imagine existing, but fortunately I chose her over a plethora of others. I have always contended that she is an amazing woman with no faults at all, well perhaps a few--but who doesn't? When you progress to certain levels of mobility, they put colored bands on your wrist. Green is the ultimate reward; it means that you can use your walker without someone holding on to you. I'm not removing mine until I can return to walking merely with a cane; I never wanted to join the Walker's club, but now I am forced to become a member. Any questions?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, what bliss (Ellin Jaeger) now that the Baron has returned to his accustomed haunts. If you must eat nonpareils, make them dark chocolate, a health food when eaten in moderation.

    Surely the rehab nurses will miss their favorite patient, but we who love him need him more. Hooray for the Baron and the successful return of the native, once more, to civilian life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! A Baronless Internet is barren indeed.

    ReplyDelete