Friday, January 15, 2016

It is definitely not so sweet to die for your country. However, It depends on how you die. (Ross)

.....DULCE et DECORUM EST (Wilfred Owen)

....."If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
behind the wagon that we flung him in,
and watch the white eyes rising in his face,...
if you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
come gargling from the froth corrupted lungs,
obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
...my friend, you would not tell with such high zest
to children ardent for some desperate glory,
the old LIE: Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

                                          (How sweet it is to die for your country.)

.....As I noted in my previous post, what I write here is primarily for the curiosity of my great grandchildren, ad infinitum. If I have any kind of legacy at all to satisfy their understanding of a grandfather they've never known, then it is written here.  Whatever will happen to my books--well who knows? Hopefully they will be preserved somewhere, some day.  For now, I will be copying letters I have received from friends that I have known. These are letters that deal with my relationships with former students and friends that I have lost over time. Here I copy parts of a letter I received from "Sharon" who was a principal of an elementary school in Baldwin. I met her just before I left for a global trip. A snippet of her letter to me before I left on my sabbatical, follows:

.....you are unique. Knowing a person such as you are has been one of the most marvelous experiences I've ever had. I hope it will be an ongoing experience even through the mail for the time being.
.....You are truly the most sensitive, understanding, kind, gentle, generous, loving ,
intelligent, liberal human being I have ever met, as well as being a perfect dynamite lover!!
.....I hope you miss me as much as I miss you.  Love, hugs, kisses, etc.

She said that I was "unique". As long as Wilfred Owen used Latin, I would rather she had said that I was "Sui Generis". 
 
                                                                            Sharon

7 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJanuary 16, 2016 at 12:18 AM

    Hoo! I'm straight in this time round, dear Baron, back to checking for your words of wisdom every day. I'm ecstatic to note that you're a demon lover as well as possessing all those other qualities that delight us.
    The Latin tag you mentioned says "dulce ET DECORUM" - so that's "sweet AND PROPER."
    And are you sure you want to be sui generis? I'm a bit that way myself and it can be a bit of a lonely place in which to find oneself!
    Much love, Cuz Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horace wrote it first. William Owen wrote it in a letter to his mother. I wrote it thirdly, so if they could write it the way they did, so could I. I speak English; sweet and 'proper'? What's proper about it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJanuary 18, 2016 at 5:43 PM

    Unfortunately, dear Baron, the word "decorum" doesn't translate perfectly into anything in our lexicon. Proper, fitting, appropriate, right, decorous: somewhere in the middle of all those words lies the actual meaning. That's what the Roman writer meant, but that doesn't mean that we have to agree with him. Clearly, Owen didn't: as you have yourself pointed out, he called it "the old lie."
    I used to wonder what would happen if war broke out, and my two sons were required to serve in it. Actually, as things turned out, it's not that difficult a problem. Sam's a senior surgeon. Here doctors are not conscripted [drafted] but traditionally volunteer for work in field hospitals. Sam's always said that if his country needed him, he'd be there. As for Manny, the fat git, the army can have him, and welcome. He'd
    make a good bouncing bomb.
    Much love, Cuz Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm holding a coupon for a free plate of pancakes, (short stack) in Old Pancake House.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep holding! I want pancakes! (Is there a "New" Pancake House?

      Delete
    2. Are we talking about free pancakes, or a free plate?

      Delete
  5. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJanuary 31, 2016 at 5:08 PM

    Hello again, Mike - I was wondering when we´d hear from you. I´ve been missing you! But pancake coupon/short stack/Old Pancake House? Vot you talking, pliz? It´s imcomprehensible to me, a mere Englishwoman! Cuz Ruth

    ReplyDelete