Saturday, August 15, 2015

"God heals and the doctor takes the fee." (B.Franklin)

.....Yesterday, Aug. 14, 2015,was the anniversary of the celebratory day 70 years ago in 1945, the day WW11 ended-- the most ferocious war in history. I joined the Navy Air Corps in 1942 when I was 18 years old. I have lost all of my buddies, excepting one. All of my friends at home in Fort Apache, on Kelly Street, in the Bronx, are also gone, but have died either of old age or in aerial combat. I was a combat aircrewman, who during most of that war survived 60 perilous missions flying in a B24 Liberator--which, at the time, was called "the flying coffin." (I never told my children or my students that name.) You can see my wings to the right of this blog. I received those wings at the end of my training (to kill).  I was very proud when they were pinned on me. Not so proud of the killing part.
 
.....My father was a triple amputee, and died when he was 33, the result of his service in WW1, and I was 9.  And when I claim that WWII was a "ferocious" war, the number of the young who died in combat has been documented: In WW1, 53,000; Korea, 33,000; Vietnam; 47,000; Korea, 33,000; and in WWII we lost, in combat alone, not counting the wounded, 291,000 young men. That's atrocious! And that may be why the Yankees in WW1 have been called "the Lost Generation". That is the first time a generation has a used name.  I am thinking of writing a musical honoring the American generations. I wrote one two years ago, but the script was stolen--really, truly, actually stolen. I guess they thought a guy with a walker couldn't be a director. They also mutilated the script. After the "show" I took the thieves to court for violating my copyright! I won some  of their money, and laughed for three whole days!

.....Well, enough with the wars past, we are at war here--with doctors for both of us. RH went from RH- to RH+. Still no one knows why she lost weight. As for the ailments that she thought plagued her. I told her that there was really nothing wrong with her, and after a myriad of testing her doctors told her the same thing. Me? I feel chipper!
 
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netAugust 15, 2015 at 7:05 PM

    What can I say? War is hell. But don't be ashamed of killing your enemies, Baron. It was necessary.
    May I please take the liberty of striking a lighter note? When your doctors tell you it's time to die, I suggest you find a preserved or replica B24 Liberator, and go and smoke your final cigarette in it. Then we can re-name it "The Flying Cough-in!"
    Glad Rh+ both is, and thinks she is, better!
    Much love, Cousin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello RU* !. Do U like my name for U? I could change RU to GR if you prefer. It wasn't killing an enemy that bothered me. It was the effect it would have on his family. I don't like the thought of a mother grieving {or a father}. I am sorry to correct you, but I stopped smoking about 40 years ago! Love & Hugs

      Delete
  2. Stopped smoking 40 years ago? All the more reason to enjoy a ciggie while you're dying! What harm will it do you?
    Your pet-name for me is OK: I can assure you that I've been called a lot worse than "RU" in my time. But fyi, my name on the days when I don't fancy being called Ruthie is "Ashtoreth de Selby." Ashtoreth is a female heathen deity, and de Selby is the name of the spoof philosopher in Flann O'Brien's "The Third Policeman."
    Yes, I understand about your feelings for the bereaved of the enemies you killed: but it is possible to feel regret without feeling shame. You have nothing of which to be ashamed. Cuz RU

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netAugust 21, 2015 at 5:02 PM

    Just off to Rhodes for two weeks, dear Baron! Stay well. Cuz Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Doc as I pray to the Robert Blitz Field scoreboard at CW POST I relish the memories of our team with me Timmy, Krause, Johnson, Hobbins, Armstrong and our mythical duty to slay the dragons of Ralph Whitney and Reda, and friends Busby and DeMarco......we finally caught up to them and gave them a thrashing! Happy Fall from Sea Cliff Timmy Ayres #15!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get thee to a nunnery- or the teachers lounge...which ever comes first!

    ReplyDelete