Thursday, July 9, 2015

"A second time I kill my husband dead, When second husband kisses me in bed." (Hamlet)

.....While trying to get all my things in the places I want them to be, I came across a letter I received prior to have taken a year's sabbatical to go around the world. (Now that sounds so silly--("... around the world")?? It is dated August 8 1976.  That was when I was young and energetic...well, comparatively young and energetic.  Today I can barely walk around the block. Comes with age. Anyway, I met this young lady at a local pub in Manhasset. She must have been 30 or 40ish. We met as friends in this bar fairly frequently, and also on a very comfortable chair in her apartment. She is an elementary school principal. Our relationship was strictly Platonic.  Well, perhaps not too Platonic.  At any rate, I came across this letter which appears rather Platonicish, and thought I would share it with you.  She sends me off on my trip saying a few things about me, although some of her observations are a little off the beaten path:
 
Dear Norman: ( That's how she starts).
 
     You left me not very long ago, and I'm feeling very peculiarly.  It's a feeling I can't put into words. (I leave her speechless). I just read all four sonnets that you wrote, and they become more beautiful with each reading. (Actually I wrote more then four)
      As I have been working around the house, (changed the bathroom light switch all by myself!!), I have been reflecting about all the wonderful moments we shared. I'd like to say " Thank you" many times over.  (RH+ does better)
     You know I wish you well.  I certainly hope your trip is a fantastic experience, and certainly a dream come true. It's been great knowing you.  You are unique. (so I've been told) Knowing a person such as you has been one of the most marvelous experiences I've ever had.I hope it will be an ongoing experience, even through the mail for the time being.
     You are truly the most sensitive, understanding, kind, gentle, generous, loving, intelligent, liberated human being I have ever met. (!!!!! italics mine. All those things?)
    
     Please write as often as you can--and share your experiences. I miss you.
 
                                   (You don't need to know her name, but she has one, trust me. I share these letters with you so that my descendants will know of the impact I had in this world) 

 

3 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 9, 2015 at 8:35 PM

    Aah! That's really lovely, Cousin Norman. It must give you great satisfaction to look back on your life, during which you have contributed so much to other people's lives. Cousin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 11, 2015 at 9:17 PM

    "We aim to please, Miss Steele." ("50 SoG" - again! Cuz R

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 20, 2015 at 11:16 PM

    Dear Baron, I understand that you've been away in hospital, but are now back. My best wishes for your recovery. Cousin Ruth

    ReplyDelete