Monday, February 21, 2011

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." (Lord Acton)

.....I'm really getting depressed.  Depressed and confused. It seems that all of the protesters over there are driving their dictators to seek succor over here.  Take one of them for example: Gov. Walker of Wisconsin.  I'm not actually claiming that he's come from over there--just that he has apparently studied and learned from them. And he's learned that they don't cotton to unions.  So, he's not governing in Wisconsin-- he's dictating--or at least trying to with the help of his misguided, tea partyish, imbecilic, Republican robotic legislature.  Or perhaps Walker wants to morph into a Royal Family and pontificate from his palace; or perhaps he'd prefer, rather, to Pontificate as a Pontiff.  Is there doubt that his primary aim is to use his power and his supporters to bust the unions in his state? It's the story once again of the Emperor's New Clothes.  He's naked (not nude; nude is too elegant a word for him).  Well, go ahead all of you anti-union people out there.  Tell me how wrong I am and how right he is.  But, hear you this; if the protests grow significantly, he will not hesitate, (like his idols in Arabia) to call in the National Guard.  And claim (as I've heard it said) that "...this is what America wants"!  To believe this requires suspending some of our critical thinking faculties and succumbing instead to the kind of irrationality that drives the logically minded crazy.

.....I'm still a member of a union--the American Federation of Teachers (AFT).  I started teaching at $3000 a year with two mouths to feed, and if you count my wife--three.  Oh, and mine also; that makes four.  And, of course, I needed a car to get to work; so I borrowed to pay for it.  During my second year at the high school in Cranford, NJ, I was asked by my colleagues to speak for them to the Board regarding a raise in salary.  So, I did.  So, I got fired.  So, I wound up in Sea Cliff where, if it were not for a strong union with collective bargaining rights, I might still be working, or perhaps holding a cardboard sign at the entrance to the Turnpike, saying "Hungry. Will work for food."  Instead, my union assured me of a pension that I could live with when I retired.  Of course, I contributed toward my pension as I should have--but so did the Board, and so did the parents in the community, as they should have, to entice good teachers to work and stay in their schools.  It could not have been done without collective bargaining rights.  Gov. Walker wants to eliminate that right of public employees.  And have his rich buddies pay them Chinese factory workers' wages.  No, no, not dictator, not King, not Pope--but Emperor is his short term goal.  Don't even think about his long term plan.

3 comments:

  1. I'm surprised this entry didn't generate more comment. I still have the scars from some of the fights -- often with our own members -- about teacher rights and teacher power and taking the clerical staff into our union. Those fights and others remain among my most cherished and proudest memories from my teaching career. It is very sad to watch decades of struggle and victories for the workers we represented being undone all across the nation in order to preserve the tax advantages of billionaires.

    Try to compose, old friend, an honest ad to attract a young, bright, idealistic 24 year old into teaching.

    "Help Wanted! Position with starting salary of lower middle class status, slow or no growth toward a better standard of living, pension plan currently being reduced and no guarantees that you will have any by the time you get to retirement age, Health insurance provided but your costs are expected to go up while your salary remains the same, no voice in your working conditions and no enforceable contract provided. You will be held in contempt by the public you serve and have no or only limited support if your clients (the students) misbehave in any way. Believing in evolution or global warming not a plus since some of your community people might not and your service will be limited to pleasing the most extreme people in your community. ONLY THE BEST AND BRIGHTEST NEED APPLY."

    Oh! I forgot. Job security in the face of any complaint from anyone in the public not guaranteed much longer."

    It's sad to watch ones life's work dismantled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aristides is praised by Socrates, in Plato's dialogue Gorgias 526a-b, as an exceptional instance of good leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aristides was praised by everyone; he was known as "The Just." BUT.....

    Every ten years the Athenians held an ostrakon, an election no one wanted to win because the victor was exiled from the city. The purpose of the balloting was to eliminate a potential tyrant (dictator) from the polity.

    Some of the very best Athenians were exiled as a result of this balloting, including, but not limited to, Themistocles, a strategos at Marathon and the hero of the decisive Battle of Salamis.

    According to Herodotus, Aristides, who was very popular, was the target of an ostraikon somewhere between 485 and 482 B.C. As he was going to the polling place, Aristides was confronted by a pheasant (peasant) who was illiterate.

    The pheasant asked Aristides to mark his ballot for (against) Aristides. When the latter asked why he was opposed to the man, the pheasant replied, "I don't have anything against him. I don't even know him. I'm just sick and tired of hearing him called 'The Just'."

    Poor Aristides won (lost) the election, but still made out better than Socrates who has forced to drink hemlock.

    There's a happy ending for The Just One. In 480 B.C., the Persians, led by the Ayatollah, invaded Greece again. Aristides was recalled, served well against the Persians, and was never ostracized again.

    ReplyDelete