Saturday, February 19, 2011

Can't dunk, can't hit a homer, can't throw a touchdown pass, but I can coach, write, and perform.

.....Hi Viking stars: How about Samantha Nadel the brightest new star at NSHS!  She has her picture and a blurb in February SPORTS ILLUSTRATED.  She won the girls' mile at the Millrose Games in 4:50.58, the third best time in the meet's history.  Two weeks earlier she ran a 9:41.36 in the 3000 meters, the fastest time in the NATION.  In November she led the Vikings to the Class A cross-country title, the school's first state championship!  God! I wish she was around when I was coaching.  And she's only a junior; imagine what she will do in her senior year!  How do you account for a girl coming along with her talent for running--a once in a lifetime occurrence?  A girl who runs a race with the fastest time in America?  It's exciting and amazing.  I can't wait to hear what she does next year.  I trust that her coach will enter her in all the National high school events.  I'm not really jealous of his success with her; he's no doubt a fine coach.  But I've had my own success with a mile relay team who won the Nassau County championship and this also qualified them to run in the Millrose games.  Anyone interested, can watch the race on UTube.  My "four horsemen" were Bobby Marsden, Barry Meyer, Chuck Hendrickson, and Bill Sherwood.  We are still in touch with each other even though they are already approaching 60!

.....Speaking of North Shore H.S. students, I met Bob Fox for lunch today.  Bob was a kind of scrawny kid when I first met him; he played on the soccer team, and he played pretty well; he was not an academic star, but he is now.  He has had a great teaching career, and just recently retired.  He is here in Florida with his wife for a few weeks, and claims that retirement involves a lot of work.  How right he is.  We spent a couple of hours at the table--mostly talking about students that I knew from his graduating class. If he's retired you can assume that he is a "senior" now--but not the high school kind.  He indicated that he and his wife would like to come to the show that I will be in.  I'm no longer in one of the leading roles and do not wish to be.  I sing one tune, and that's it.

.....This blog keeps on growing and I don't know what to do about it.  I already have nine books of the blog published dating from August 2007.  I don't expect anyone to buy a single book--but for someone who hasn't read this blog, I truly believe that any one of the books would be very interesting reading--especially the comments that follow a posting, like dessert on a menu.  I might as well keep preserving this venture in published books.  It doesn't cost me a dime to have a book printed in either paperback or hard cover.  But why should anyone buy a book when they could go all the way back to 2007 and read the blog on the internet for nothing.  But they would have a helluva lot of catching up to do...more than 2000 pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment