Sunday, June 8, 2014

St. Crispins Day speech (Shakespeare)

History seems to repeat itself and Henry Vs speech to his troops on his St. Crispins Day has several aspects that remind me of "the longest day".

The Battle of Agincourt was a major English victory in the Hundred Years' War. The battle occurred on Friday, 25 October 1415 (Saint Crispin's Day), near modern-day Azincourt, in northern France. Henry V's victory (like ours on D-Day) at Agincourt, against a numerically superior French army, crippled France and started a new period in the war during which Henry married the French king's daughter and then Henry's son, Henry VI, was made heir to the throne of France. Shakespeare celebrates this event in his play about Henry V, and though by a very long-shot, I am no Shakespeare, I have edited the speech for those who can remember ....."the longest Day".

ST. CRISPIN'S DAY SPEECH BY HENRY V

In response to Westmoreland's dismay at the lack of troop strength, King Henry expresses his belief that the few men - 'brothers' - will be able to boast each year on St. Crispin's Day of their victory over the French

WESTMORELAND. O that we now had here
But one ten thousand of those men in England
That do no work to-day!

KING. What’s he that wishes so?
My cousin Westmoreland? No, my fair cousin;
The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
God’s will! I pray thee, wish not one man more..
But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England.
God’s peace! I would not lose so great an honour
As one man more methinks would share from me
For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!
Rather proclaim it, That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
We would not die in that man’s company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
This day is call’d the feast of
Crispian.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam’d,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly feast his neighbours,
And say “To-morrow is Saint Crispian.”
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say “These wounds I had on Crispian’s day.”
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he’ll remember.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne’er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.

9 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJune 8, 2014 at 5:21 PM

    Great stuff, Baron!
    I had a WONDERFUL time with this speech a few years ago. I was at an open-air DIY Shakespeare event in central Sheffield: and a teacher had brought his class of young students with him. Amazingly, although male, the teacher was even shorter than me, so I grabbed two copies of "Henry V," and cast myself as the king, and him as Westmoreland - and we threw ourselves into this scene. However, before we started, Matt Black, the organiser of the event (probably Google-able,) said: "Do you want a crown, Ruth?" "No thanks," I said, "I'm regal enough already!" Students much impressed.....Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. And please don't forget the tasty breakfast food, he invented, Rice Krispin

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJune 10, 2014 at 8:25 PM

    LOVED your Corny Flakey joke, Mike! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never had so much time on my hands as I do at this time. Helen, my wife, passed away a couple of months ago, and I just completed all the chores that I saved up to accomplish when I have the time. Well, now that I all the time in the world, (not really, and that’s a stupid phrase) Not “not really”, but “all the time in the world”. Why am I explaining that? It’s because I have the time. That’s why. I managed to put things away, which meant, one can see the top of tables and chairs with nothing on them. It doesn’t resemble my apartment any longer, but now I can start all over again, not replacing the items to where I found them, and make new piles of my stuff. There’s nothing like the feeling of needing something and knowing it’s under that pile….or that pile. Whatever.
    I replaced the bolts holding shelves to the type of bolt that you can rely on. They are all molly bolts now. To the uninformed, a molly bolt is composed of added vie device on the bolt that’s compressed to allow the bolt to enter the other side of the wall. After insertion, a spring causes it to open and offers a barrier so the bolt cannot be removed. Now that’s exciting. I once read that my preponderance in maintaining the stability of the parts adjoined can be attributed to sexuality y. I also like to shop and try on socks and shoes. Nah, no bearing on sex.
    I am writing this to answer the many condo commandos, who are always asking ” What the hell do you do all day now? I never see you anymore. “
    After my loss, I tried hanging around the pool, and explain how a condolence card should be sent. I received many, since Helen and I were active in the community. Many sent charity to the various clubs that support a cure for some dreaded disease. I received many ornate cards that informed me of the gifts of so many generous neighbors and friends. I couldn’t help and display my warped sense of humor by bringing a few of the cards with one added item.. I inserted a 20 dollar bill in the envelope which was immediately visible , when opened. I explained that this is the way condolence cards should be sent. I will determine who gets what and where. My novel idea didn’t take hold, and only reinforced the view that there isn’t anything I wouldn’t attempt to shock the gentry.
    When The Baron isn’t looking, I ‘m going to add this as a comment to his blog and see if I can away with this act of bawdiness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who? I had mistaken the V for a W. I thought you were referring to Henry Winkler. (Fonzie)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJune 13, 2014 at 10:45 PM

    Mike, you just SLAY me! As I said before, I LOVE a man who can make me laugh! You are now a widower. If my husband predeceases me, will you marry me, please? I am very beautiful for my age (66) and sexy, intelligent, good at cooking and household management, terrific company, a laugh a minute (much like yourself in this respect), brilliant at TLC - I freely admit to all this with the modesty and humility that become me so well! Cuz Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJune 16, 2014 at 7:43 PM

    Sorry, dear Blazeygirl-Cuz, but I am unable to take your meaning from that brief utterance! Please amplify!! Cuz Ruth

    ReplyDelete