Saturday, February 8, 2014

"These violent delights have violent ends" (Romeo and Juliet)

.....I will be 90 on 02/27/2014.  It's hard to believe that I have made it to that number, but I am grateful because I got to hold my great grandson in my arms.  Of course there must be some other things I could be grateful for, but I can't think of any at the moment.  Oh, yes--I am way beyond grateful for having RH+ as a caregiver, and at times I can use a little care.  Perhaps you will see some care that I need and receive at the party she is making for me.  It will be held at the same banquet hall where I had a party 10 years ago, but I am told that 90 is "bigger" than 80.  So be it.
 
.....As far as the musical that I wrote is concerned, I have had nothing to do with it since I wrote it. No matter the reason, I gave the role of "Director" to a person (I believe he is a "person") whom I thought was my friend.  Since then I never have gotten an email nor a phone call about what was happening to my script.  Some cast members have told me that changes were being made to the manuscript.  According to the National Copyright laws, as soon as a work of art is completed it is copyrighted automatically.  So this person and his friends were violating my copyright because I had to approve changes.  Never had the opportunity.  They even changed the title which I chose to use, mainly "43!"--just as you see it--including the quotes.  They called the show, "The 40s USO Show."  How bland..  Now, if I care to see it, I have to buy a ticket!  This substitute director will get to see his work for three nights and then it will be gone forever.  But he also has lost a good friend forever.  Which is worth it?
 
.....I have some other things contributing to my "weltshmertz" which I've had hanging over my head for years. I'm like that guy in the Lil Abner cartoon who was always pictured  with a cloud hanging over his head.  I think his name was something like "Mr, Blifstick".  But I do share this condition with most other people who have their own clouds. So why worry?  I'm having a party.  All my children and grandchildren will be there, and I believe this is the first time all of then will be together...and also with a couple of grandparents.  There will likely be about 50 people there.  I didn't know that I knew so many.  They all will be well fed at dinner--and drinks are also free.  It's OK, though; I am getting a tax refund from the IRS of $5031. Should be more than enough to pay for this party.  So drink up, folks.
,

10 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netFebruary 10, 2014 at 12:13 AM

    Dear Baron, I'm really glad that the preparations for your 90th birthday party are proceeding so well. That and your great-grandson in your arms on top of everything else! And all your family coming to the party - it's all pretty good stuff. PLEASE stop fretting about the changes your erstwhile friend has made to your musical! No doubt he HAS violated your copyright, but it's difficult to see what losses have accrued to you, apart from your hurt feelings. That sort of thing may be actionable in Florida, whaddo I know? But it certainly isn't in our jurisdiction. PLEASE PLEASE put this one behind you, I as your affectionate and admiring cousin beg of you. Maybe your erstwhile friend hasn't got a distinguished war record and lots of medals (including a French one!) and a brilliant academic career, and lots of children and grandchildren AND a great-grandson to contemplate! I humbly and respectfully suggest that you count your blessings!! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Ruthie, not only have "changes" have been made to my script, but the title has also been changed. Ill have to buy a ticket to my own show. And I do count my blessings...and a mind in condition to write a play at 90 counts as a blessing to count, also, does it not?

      Delete
  2. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netFebruary 10, 2014 at 9:50 PM

    Yes, indeed it does, Cuzzin Norman. Keep counting! Cuzzin Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netFebruary 15, 2014 at 9:42 PM

    Hi everyone! I've just been sorting through a lot of my papers, and have now found my list of pronunciations of the letter combination "ough" in English. Thought I might share it with you all, as it is of interest to all lovers of our language.
    1 "or" as in "bought."
    2 "ow!" as in "bough"
    3 long "oo" as in "through"
    4 "er" as in "thorough" (although some people do say "burrow")
    5 "uff" as in "enough"
    6 long "o" as in "although"
    7 "off" as in "cough"
    8 and in the north of England, short "oo" where "rough" is pronounced "rooff" " to rhyme with "woof!"
    Amazing. How do foreigners manage? Especially when words like "bow" (bending as a salutation) is pronounced differently from "bow," the way a ribbon or shoelace is tied.
    As I said, I'm very troubled by the question of whether or not these spelling complexities should be reformed. Anyone got any ideas? Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say simplify! We don't need the letters Q or C, because we already have K and S. We don't need PH, because we have F; and we don't need GH, because we have G or F (or no letter needed at all). We probably need to hold onto TH and CH (although we can create some new single-character representations for those sounds). The "ough" needs to go, as ruff as that mite sound. Good nite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netFebruary 18, 2014 at 4:18 PM

    Weigh to gough, Joughel! Cuz Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. GHOTI = FISH
    GH (as in "touGH")
    O (as in "wOmen")
    TI (as in "naTIon")
    -- Yur Kuzin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, this blog is not a linguistic classroom. Use your emails. Anyway, what you write has no value at all.

      Delete
  7. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netFebruary 20, 2014 at 9:44 PM

    Please indulge us a little, dear Cuzzin Baron! At least let me tell Joel that the "ghoti" thing was "thort" up by George Bernard Shaw many decades ago!! And if I tell you that you are wonderful and that it is you who have inspired us to "rite" things, "wood" you say that that had no value? Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK! OK! Already... Yup. Still no value. Gold has value. U R Gold. Ghoti has no value; just nonsense that floats in dark abysmal caverns.

      Delete